Online Carving class

Well gota a little bit done started doing the upper fin using a V gouge , how I did it is start from the base of the fin to the body don't try an figure out the line to much an just go very light cuts , as you come close to the end of the fin slow down an keep a good hand if you see some of the wood whanting to break off stop an come in on the top coming to the body of the Bass

Bass 10.jpg

So how is everyone else doing on there's so far ????

Now I have been working on 2 of them one in Plaque forum an one in board forum here is where I'm at in the board forum for those who is working with a board

Peacock Bass 07.jpg

As you can see I added in the frog an lily pads an some grass

Hi Gang, Lora Irish here.

I hope that maybe I will be able to straighten this out a little bit.

Just so everyone knows what is and has happened, I posted a link from my blog to Roy's thread and the "that other" forum on which that thread is posted. I did not realize ... it just did not register in my brain ... that Roy was x-posting his class here or perhaps on other forums as well. I did and have been posting 'over there', and hope that with your permission and acceptance that I will be able to post here as well.

I already have a request by PM in with several of the moderators here asking permission to expand my post on my blog to include your great forum and Roy's teaching thread that is happening here. I am waiting for their reply to update my site.

My blog is dedicated to the new carver - that guy or gal who just bought their very first bench knife, or because of something they saw on the net is for the first time considering trying our hobby. These new carvers don't know you are here, they don't know how to find you. Honestly, they don't know to type WoodWorking Forums into the search engines to find the sub-forums for carving. Sharing a link can mean that new carver gets as turned on, supported, and encouraged by great people like you as all of us once were when we were newbies.

So that you know, I was the one that suggested on 'that other forum' that the members there share what Roy is doing on their other forums, message boards, and even on reddit. We, as wood carvers, are a small part of the larger woodworking community online. Good, strong, viable resources as FamilyWoodworking.org are so extremely important to us as a means to connect with other carvers, share our experiences, and expand our techniques and there are too few of them. I truly believe in sharing links, especially with my beginners, so that they can join the fun too. I feel strongly enough about this - sharing our resourses as FamilyWoodWorking.org - that I strongly suggest that you too share the links!

When I suggested sharing Roy's links, I never meant it as putting one message board over another ... I meant it as a way to get the good news that someone is doing a fantastic, in-depth, totally free class that everyone could join!

So, I apologize to Roy for this confusion and to anyone else that may have seen it from another perspective. And, I commend Roy for the great job he has taken on in creating this class for all of us to enjoy.

Thank you for letting me sharing.

Last edited:
Welcome to our Family, Lora! It's good to have you with us. We look forward to your contributions.

Carving is something I've admired for years but never had the desire to get into myself because it seems so tedious. Then, again, I'm starting to get more involved in projects other than large flatwork furniture for our home, so who knows?

Having been a moderator here and knowing how we want to get the word out about our Family, I'm sure there's no issue with you posting a link here along with the one you have to WWC. I've been keeping an eye on a few things on WWC myself as well as posting a few things. We like our Family here, but recognize there is a vast wealth of knowledge out there that we need to visit as well.

Our Family is made up of the full range of talent from pros who do this as a living all the way to newbies. All are welcome!

Lora, I should also have invited you to go to the "Welcome and Introductions" subforum in "Off Topic" to introduce yourself to the Family.

Thanks again for joining us!

Thank you Bill! Thank you Darren! I will slip over and make an opening post of the Welcome threads.

As I said, I have my request in with the moderators and, when I have permission, let everyone know that I have added FamilyWoodWorking.org to my blog as another great resource for our newbies !!!!

... I know that Rod Damon is doing over time an will be back at it when he get a chance.

One of the projects that was due the end of next week has been postponed, so it looks like I may be able to spend sometime this week working on it.

Roy, could you take a picture of the top center fins from a different angle, so I can better understand how they should look? Thanks. Rob

Welcome to the family Lora. Your carvings and patterns are an inspiration to me. I still have a lot to learn from you. It is great to have you here.

One of the projects that was due the end of next week has been postponed, so it looks like I may be able to spend sometime this week working on it.

Roy, could you take a picture of the top center fins from a different angle, so I can better understand how they should look? Thanks. Rob

Here you go rob its ruffed in not finished, best thing I found to do the lines with is a V-gouge I started from the body an moved outward small cuts at a time, now if you see the end starting to break off start from the outside an move in to met up with you line. Just remember no fin is alike just make yours as you want it ok.
Also you can see I haven't added the cuts to bring the spines out yet, its to early for that right now since I am adding to the carving

Class 6.jpg