Custom Intarsia Box-A work in Progress

Mike Mathieu

Hi Everyone
Here is a sneak peek of my newest Intarsia box that I'm working on.. My client is a civil war buff and wanted to incorporate the flags into the top of the lid. Still have a ways to go but should be very striking when complete.
The Box is made from Peruvian Walnut with a Holly accent and measures 13" x 9" x 5"
IMG_7004.jpg IMG_7006.jpg
I drew the pattern for the intarsia using a couple of photos sent to me by the client.
IMG_7021.jpg
So here is a little progress on the inlay work.
I used tiger maple for the background wood, bloodwood for the oval border, bluish walnut sap for the sword blades and mahogany and brownheart for the sword handles.
IMG_7025.jpg
Gaining on it-stars are tough
Newest woods -Holly,Lacewood, Blue Mahoe, Yellowheart.
IMG_7031.jpg
Almost There
Got the rest of the stars cut and inlayed.
90 pieces so far with about 10 or so pieces to go
IMG_7033.jpg

How do you cut any of those pieces. tool-wise? You do beautiful work, never get tired of viewing your posts. Thanks for wetting my imagination with a mini progression of the work.

Thanks for the comments guys.
To Larry - The technique used to cut the recesses for the stars begins by drilling a 1/32" pilot hole( through the pattern which is attached to the wood) in the center of each star to thread the scroll saw blade through. Then I cut to the points of the star from the center until the recess is complete. I use a 3/0 double tooth blade for these cuts as it is not too aggressive. I also wear a set of 2 power jewelers glasses to magnify everything.
To Paul- I am using an older model Craftsman variable speed scroll saw for all the cutting. For most of the cutting I use a 3/0 skip tooth blade but for certain cuts I use the 3/0 double tooth blade which gives me more control.