Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole Wheat Bread

Whole Wheat Bread

Just discovered there is a cooking forum in this site . Way Kool

I make all my home made whole wheat bread and even mill the flour from whole hard red spring wheat berries. .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bread Aug 29.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	86032

Good looking bread! I make mine from locally sourced whole wheat or white flour. I mix the dough in the bread machine, then knead it a bit and shape it before baking. I use the simplest possible recipe, and everyone still raves about my bread.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Welcome to the Forum William! Great Looking bread!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

A lovely looking pair!

Welcome William, those look really nice!

The cooking topic seemed to evolve because people who do things tend to do all sorts of things and it's kind of a fun community in general.

What kind of mill do you use? I mostly use my nutrimill which makes nice fine flour for bread (and is nice low effort ;D).

Also do you sift? I had some difficulties with hard red having a high bran content and cutting the gluten.. Do mostly switch to hard white. Your loaves look nice and high though so guessing either sifted our a really long soak/preferment.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    Good looking bread! I make mine from locally sourced whole wheat or white flour. I mix the dough in the bread machine, then knead it a bit and shape it before baking. I use the simplest possible recipe, and everyone still raves about my bread.
    That sounds like a good idea . My bread maker makes small , or large or extra large loaves . Those shown are extra large . I cut them in half and then slice them on an electric slicer to make four small loaves . It's the only way I can make the slices from a bread machine fit in a toaster .
    Never thought of using the machine just for mixing and then put the dough in regular size loaf pans to bake .
    At what stage do you dump the dough out of the machine. ? I would imagine it would have to be punched down and then allow to raise again in the loaf pans before baking in the oven .

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Welcome William, those look really nice!

The cooking topic seemed to evolve because people who do things tend to do all sorts of things and it's kind of a fun community in general.

What kind of mill do you use? I mostly use my nutrimill which makes nice fine flour for bread (and is nice low effort ;D).

Also do you sift? I had some difficulties with hard red having a high bran content and cutting the gluten.. Do mostly switch to hard white. Your loaves look nice and high though so guessing either sifted our a really long soak/preferment.
    I mill the whole wheat in the Vitamix that shows in my picture. It does a wonderful job of making fine flour same as bought in a bag but more nutritious . I have tried both white and red hard spring wheat and prefer the more nutty taste of the red. . I have no problem with the bran content. Never needed to sift any flour . Old guys like me need the bran . . lol . .
    I do add about 1/3 white flour but a person has to be careful to get it labelled as "bread" flour and not all purpose because the bread flour has a higher gluten content .

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    So very true.

To leave out everything else and devote a forum to only ONE topic just seems like something is missing.

MMMM mmmmmm - I can smell that bread

I think for Christmas - I want a bread machine.

I was going to ask if you used a bread maker judging from the look of the loaf. After many hand injuries, kneeding is out of the question, but doing a "Dough Only" setting allows for putting it into a more traditional loaf pan. Good looking
    bread!! edit... just saw that was already brought up
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

My wife had to have a fancy bread machine years ago. For months the house smelt like homemade bread, then it dissipated and I haven't smelled it for several years!
    "We the People ......"