Thread: Fixed the problem with the instrument cluster on my Chevy Silverado

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Fixed the problem with the instrument cluster on my Chevy Silverado

The problems started several years ago first the Tach then the Oil pressure then the speedo quite working and finally all the gages quit. I did some research and found out the all GM trucks, Tahoe and Suburbans and Tahoe's built between 2003 and 2007 have a problem with the stepping motors that are used fail. Mine is a 2005. Speedo shops wanted Big bucks to fix the problem so I did a lot of research and found several U-tube how to fix it showing the correct procedure. I kept talking about it and finally decided to get it done. I ordered this kit on Amazon for $38. The only tools needed were a soldering Iron, solder sucker and a 7 MM socket. The whole job took less then 2 hour start to finish. Just thought I would post this in case anyone else out there has the same problem
    Last edited by Don Baer; 09-20-2014 at 11:56 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I saw the title of this thread and figured you'd be showing pics of your new Ford truck.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I saw the title of this thread and figured you'd be showing pics of your new Ford truck.
    h
    nah my Silverado's just getting broke in its only got 180K miles on it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Glad you got it fixed. I had a problem with the instrument cluster on a Chev PU I owned several years ago. The Chev guys told me the only fix was to replace the cluster to the tune of $700 plus. Did some research on the web and found it was a fairly common problem and there was a place in Canada that would fix it for around $100. I took the cluster out, sent it, it came back in less than 2 weeks fixed and I never had the problem again.
    "We the People ......"

Yea Paul, I was getting the same kind of quote and I didn't want to be without a truck for a week or two, that why this was such a great find.

Easy repair with a good payoff.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible