Leo's Workshop - Sept 22 2014 - Part one

Cool videos Leo. Very natural just way i like it. Love your accent always reminds me " Go Pats Go" :)

I really appreciate the info on the HDU. It was very appropriate for a project i have on the go. Thanks for all the detail its exactly what i wanted to know about the stuff.

Just for feedback you captured the difference really clearly on the wood, pink foam, versus hdu.
Noticed the annual ring in some parts seemed to have chipped away and broken up the finish line so its more than just the fuzzies.

Leo have you tried MDF ? I came across a lighter weight MDF called flakeboard here at a sheet goods supplier locally. Have not routed it yet but my need was for cheap and light weight. Prior use of mdf was fine for my application but i am not machining details.
Definitely going to try track down a local supplier of hdu and see what we have to pay for it.

What is it like as far as structural strength over a span of say 27" ? I suppose if pushed in center it would bow? I can solve that with a frame behind so no crisis but adds to parts and assembly.

Oh and i am glad i aint alone in taking forum members into the shop with me. I kinda have Glenn always sitting on my shoulders saying things to me. :)
I find some things said here seem to have a permanent echo with me when i am in the shop.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Cool videos Leo. Very natural just way i like it. Love your accent always reminds me " Go Pats Go" :)

I really appreciate the info on the HDU. It was very appropriate for a project i have on the go. Thanks for all the detail its exactly what i wanted to know about the stuff.

Just for feedback you captured the difference really clearly on the wood, pink foam, versus hdu.
Noticed the annual ring in some parts seemed to have chipped away and broken up the finish line so its more than just the fuzzies.

Leo have you tried MDF ? I came across a lighter weight MDF called flakeboard here at a sheet goods supplier locally. Have not routed it yet but my need was for cheap and light weight. Prior use of mdf was fine for my application but i am not machining details.
Definitely going to try track down a local supplier of hdu and see what we have to pay for it.

What is it like as far as structural strength over a span of say 27" ? I suppose if pushed in center it would bow? I can solve that with a frame behind so no crisis but adds to parts and assembly.

Oh and i am glad i aint alone in taking forum members into the shop with me. I kinda have Glenn always sitting on my shoulders saying things to me. :)
I find some things said here seem to have a permanent echo with me when i am in the shop.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks Rob - and everyone else too. It was a kind of impropto video - I had fun doing it.

Ohh - and I do NOT have an accent - all the rest do - not me.

Boston - Colonies - Mayflower - Pilgrims. This is where it started - everybody else changed it.

Yes I have worked with MDF. That is interior stuff. There is also Extira - which is a formulation of MDF for exterior. You may hear about Medex - but that is NOT exterior. Medex is moisture "resistant" and designed for bathrooms and such. Extira is design to get rained on and to endure snow and ice.

MDF is a doable material and requires serious sanding. It does not take the really fine detail that I need on the carousel animals. I made a 4 foot diameter sign and mounted a 2 foot anchor that I designed and CNC'd out of Extira. Took some serious sanding - but all round smooth surfaces, so the sanding was not all that intensive. I do a LOT of trials and testings, with materials and paints and adhesives. I can say a LOT about all of that.

Materials I have worked with:
A variety of HDU weights
PVC to make letters - borders - shapes
many varieties of woods
Aluminum clad with PVC interior core - background - structural
Lord Adhesives to bond a variety of materials

As to the structural integrity of HDU - it's fair. It WILL break if large areas are unsupported and the wind gets to it. Sign makers generally use aluminum structural members and imbed the framework into sandwiched layers of HDU.

HDU - is the MOST - stable material that you will find. You can hose it down - literally - and nothing happens to it. There is minimal expansion or contraction - during winter to summer. The paint sticks to it wonderfully - does not crack or peel.

Yes it is expensive - one time up front cost - but the benefits outweigh the negatives.

If cost is the SOLE issue - then it's not worth it.

I will be posting more on the cabinet I am making and the carousel animals as I go through the project.

This IS - in part - part of my home remodel project. The animals go on the cabinet. The cabinet goes in the house - as a temp - kitchen cabinet. After it's finished, it will be a shop cabinet.

Thanks a lot for the info and the videos Leo, I must admit that at the beginning of the first part I thought that the carousel animals were milled on the round and not flat on the back. I guess that if you had the other side file you had been able to do it.

Nice maple leaves, I guess they are the project you mentioned me ;).

When I was at high school we used urethane foam to make mock-ups of our projects, and we also used what was called Clark Foam which was white and made from Poliester or PVC I don't recall it exactly. All those materials have many advantages, being their price their major drawback.

Hi Toni,

The leaves is not the project I spoke to you about, but I would use the model to create something like what you carved.

There is NO WAY - I can make my computerized stuff look GREAT like your hand carved stuff.

Your stuff is FAR MORE energizing, and has more character than my CNC stuff.