Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blade to table adjustments

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

Blade to table adjustments

Hi guys.... I have about a 12-13 year old 3 hp Delta Unisaw. I've always have had some sawdust coming back off the front of the blade. I know fence is parallel to the miter slot as I set it with a dial indicator. I put a Master Plate on the shaft and run the dial indicator along the length of the 8" plate. I zeroed the indicator over the shaft and took measurements front to back. The reading is telling me the trunnion is skewed a total of 4 thousands (2 forward and 2 back of the shaft). I've never attempted to adjust this saw before but finally getting tired of eating the dust. Has anybody done this chore before? Is it a real bear to do? Big question, am I just being too anal about the amount the blade is skewed to the table?

Thanks

Royall
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

i think i know you??? arent you the guy who built a new home on the island and then got into cooking for awhile? if so welcome back dude.. as being anal well we all have some of that.. just to flaber gasted to here from you again to be able to answer tech questions
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I be dat haole Larry... Yeah, has been awhile. Woodworking isn't a hobby anymore for me and not quite a job either. Basically I'm a handyman doing what ever to help people out here. I work in the shop to do anything from kitchen cabinets to a custom child's art easel. A little plumbing, wiring, cement work.... I'll tackle most any job asked of me, as long as I feel I'm doing right by the customer. When the afternoon shadows start stretching out, I head into the house and don't even think of shop work. Now I need to either adjust the saw or keep putting up with the assault on my face. LOL The other thing going now, is what to do with my shop if the lava keeps heading my way.... If old age don't get me the lave might
    Aloha,

Hi Royall man its just great to see you back here. I have wondered what happened to you. Glad to see you not covered in lava. Sorry i am no use at any suggestions for your saw.
    cheers

Thanks Rob... The lava has slowed down over the weekend. Just never know with Madam Pele..

I've been looking at Youtube. I found a Saw setup video by the Wood Whisperer. He is setting up a Powermatic and it has the same 4 bolt holding the top to the cabinet. I didn't try that because the Tech guys at Delta told me that the trunnions were bolted to the top. Well I thought he was smokin a little too much pakalolo on lunch break but then started second guessing myself. Does anyone know if the top of a Unisaw is free floating to the trunnions? I looked under there but couldn't really tell. If it is free floating, then I know what to do... Heck, my just give that a go in the morning just to see what happens.. I could have sworn that I took the top of the TS when I moved over here... After 9 years on this rock the brain goes into neutral easier everyday!!
    Aloha,

I assume the Unisaw has cabinet mounted trunnions. If so, its a snap. I remove my wings and fence rails when I align but, some folks prefer to fight them. Four bolts hold the table to the cabinet. You loosen them a bit and the table will shift about. I leave one corner snug and pivot from there first just in case I get lucky. If I run out of adjustment room before I get what I want I snug another corner and use that for a pivot. I know that is real general but, there's a lot of posts on here that go into painful detail on this. Here's one by some knucklehead.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks Glen. Now it all comes back to the feeble brain cells!! Funny thing... On the link you posted, I was the last person to reply to it over 5 years ago! See, I just can't remember anything!! LOL
    Aloha,

Welcome back Royall good to see you again!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thanks Darren, Just need to make more time to stay in touch!
    Aloha,

Glenn covered your question as he normally does And AWESOME to see you poke your head in here again Sure hope you can hang around awhile