Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Router Lift

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

Homemade Router Lift

Looking at my router table and realize I need to bring it "up to date" lol. I have to re-engineer the top and build a new fence to make it a little more user friendly and was thinking of a router lift. Right now there is a DeWalt 625 3 horse mounted underneath and is a real PITA to work with. I see lots of home built lifts on Youtube and other places on the web. This appeals to me as I have more time than money for this project. Are they worth the effort to build? I know I'll have to probably get a new router motor whether I buy a lift or build one. Most important, are they as precise and sturdy as a factory made lift? I'm aware that a lot to do with precision of the lift will be based on the attention to detail put into the build.

So, has anyone here built one? Are you happy with it? Would you do it again, or spend the money for a metal one? Also what motor would you suggest? I using large radius bits more and more so I guess I'm still going to need 3+ hp.

Any and all information will be a big help.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Homemade Router Lift

If you have a router table I would bet money saying that 90% of people on this forum would tell you that you might as well have the biggest motor possible for a table. But it's more simple to build a home made lift with a fixed based router.
    I used an old ryobi 2.5 hp router that comes with a table but it's not really a lift. So I came up with a way to make it more user friendly.

~Ninja~

Homemade Router Lift

For some reason I can't post pictures at the moment but I will later

~Ninja~

I'd recommend checking out Youtube for home made router lifts. I bought my router lift, after a ton of overtime, and after having it, I think I would rather have had the time off, and made my own. (enjoyment, verses work stress)
    I've seen several on there, and saved a few video's, just in case I ever do it again (for example, nephew bought first home). The ones I remember used drawer slides, or a scissor jack. (later I think I will try)
    For the router, I have two big Milwaukee's (one a black friday deal, one Ebay bargain), that cost me less then one, normally. While I agree with get a big router, you already have one. What I would do is also think about what is already available for it. While there is the router raizer, there are also home made version. There is also an accessory for that router, that at least one reviewer modified to be a homemade router raizer. (what I found is several router companies started producing these) DEWALT DW6966

EDIT: A deceased woodworker on several forums I visited, long ago posted a very simple one (lived in Poland). Not sure about posting links, since he is deceased (several forums don't have pictures as several were linked to a no longer around account). But I know there are still pictures on Lumberjocks of one of them, his posting name was Niki.
    Last edited by Randal Stevenson; 09-25-2014 at 08:43 PM.

PM Sent.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

@Randal, I've been looking for anything available on Youtube.. I've only found 3 so far and two are a consideration. The Shop Notes and one that has a diagonal slot that raises the router. The third one that Wendal Mathiest (spl??) has just didn't appeal to me.

links to the lifts I've looked at on Youtube:

Last edited by Royall Clark; 09-25-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Aloha,

I'll be in and out this week (dogsitting), so I may not get back as quick to reply. (extra work as well)

Try the router raizer term, since yours is a plunge router. Other then Niki's method (effectively a lever), I don't see too many router lifts for plunge routers.

Thanks again Randal.

The more I'm reading and watching, the more I'm leaning towards the Shopnote's lift. I really would like to have a router in the table that is easier the change bits than the DeWalt is, so I'm thinking of a new motor too. Just have to decide what motor to get. 2 1/4 or a 3 1/4.
    Aloha,

Well, I decided on the shopnotes router lift. I have the wood components all cut out and just waiting for the hardware. Finding the hardware has turned out to be hardest part of this build so far. No one company has all the parts that I need. There is nothing available here on this island other than the basic screws, bolts, nuts, and washers found at HD or Lowe's. Everybody sells 3/4"x10 threaded stock but nobody sells 3/4"x16 stock or the coupling nut. Got the threaded rod coming from Granger. A 2' length is 35 bucks with shipping. The bushing they call for and the setscrews are coming in from Honolulu. One good thing, the router plate that I have now will probably work with the new lift without any problems. I could have gotten everything from Granger, but they sold in multiples IE, 3-10 items per bag or just way too expensive.

I am going to build a new base (One on locking casters) for the table to replace my bench top system I'm using now. I have a couple sets of toolbox casters that were given too me, so that helps a bunch with the cost. It won't be pretty as I'm going to use up a bunch of odds and ends for the carcass but once painted (if I get around to it!) nobody will notice...

I did pull the trigger and buy a 3 1/4 hp (Porter-Cable 75182 Variable speed) motor only from Amazon. With my Prime membership, it was 303 bucks with free shipping. To help offset the cost of this build I'm going to sell my DeWalt 625 3hp on eBay, once I take it out of my router table. It has been a good router but in the table I have now, it just wasn't easy to use. I think I should be able to get 150 buck for it.

And to think, all of this got started when I thought I would just "upgrade" the fence!! LOL

Sorry for the rambling post......

Sorry I don't have any photos to show... I've been away long enough that I've forgotten how to post them! LOL I don't even remember how to re-size a photo to make an avatar... Oh, the fun of old age!!

I will keep you guys posted as this project takes shape.
    Aloha,

Good show, Royall. I kind of figured that is the one you would choose. I might do one too.

Is there a reason why the plan calls for 3/4 rod? I have wondered why 1/2" or even 5/8" might not work. There might be a chance of finding that size easier, maybe? But you already ordered the 3/4.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on this.

Aloha, my friend.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.