Homemade Router Lift

Looking at my router table and realize I need to bring it "up to date" lol. I have to re-engineer the top and build a new fence to make it a little more user friendly and was thinking of a router lift. Right now there is a DeWalt 625 3 horse mounted underneath and is a real PITA to work with. I see lots of home built lifts on Youtube and other places on the web. This appeals to me as I have more time than money for this project. Are they worth the effort to build? I know I'll have to probably get a new router motor whether I buy a lift or build one. Most important, are they as precise and sturdy as a factory made lift? I'm aware that a lot to do with precision of the lift will be based on the attention to detail put into the build.

So, has anyone here built one? Are you happy with it? Would you do it again, or spend the money for a metal one? Also what motor would you suggest? I using large radius bits more and more so I guess I'm still going to need 3+ hp.

Any and all information will be a big help.

If you have a router table I would bet money saying that 90% of people on this forum would tell you that you might as well have the biggest motor possible for a table. But it's more simple to build a home made lift with a fixed based router.
I used an old ryobi 2.5 hp router that comes with a table but it's not really a lift. So I came up with a way to make it more user friendly.

~Ninja~

I'd recommend checking out Youtube for home made router lifts. I bought my router lift, after a ton of overtime, and after having it, I think I would rather have had the time off, and made my own. (enjoyment, verses work stress)
I've seen several on there, and saved a few video's, just in case I ever do it again (for example, nephew bought first home). The ones I remember used drawer slides, or a scissor jack. (later I think I will try)
For the router, I have two big Milwaukee's (one a black friday deal, one Ebay bargain), that cost me less then one, normally. While I agree with get a big router, you already have one. What I would do is also think about what is already available for it. While there is the router raizer, there are also home made version. There is also an accessory for that router, that at least one reviewer modified to be a homemade router raizer. (what I found is several router companies started producing these) DEWALT DW6966

EDIT: A deceased woodworker on several forums I visited, long ago posted a very simple one (lived in Poland). Not sure about posting links, since he is deceased (several forums don't have pictures as several were linked to a no longer around account). But I know there are still pictures on Lumberjocks of one of them, his posting name was Niki.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'll be in and out this week (dogsitting), so I may not get back as quick to reply. (extra work as well)

Try the router raizer term, since yours is a plunge router. Other then Niki's method (effectively a lever), I don't see too many router lifts for plunge routers.

Thanks again Randal.

The more I'm reading and watching, the more I'm leaning towards the Shopnote's lift. I really would like to have a router in the table that is easier the change bits than the DeWalt is, so I'm thinking of a new motor too. Just have to decide what motor to get. 2 1/4 or a 3 1/4.

Well, I decided on the shopnotes router lift. I have the wood components all cut out and just waiting for the hardware. Finding the hardware has turned out to be hardest part of this build so far. No one company has all the parts that I need. There is nothing available here on this island other than the basic screws, bolts, nuts, and washers found at HD or Lowe's. Everybody sells 3/4"x10 threaded stock but nobody sells 3/4"x16 stock or the coupling nut. Got the threaded rod coming from Granger. A 2' length is 35 bucks with shipping. The bushing they call for and the setscrews are coming in from Honolulu. One good thing, the router plate that I have now will probably work with the new lift without any problems. I could have gotten everything from Granger, but they sold in multiples IE, 3-10 items per bag or just way too expensive.

I am going to build a new base (One on locking casters) for the table to replace my bench top system I'm using now. I have a couple sets of toolbox casters that were given too me, so that helps a bunch with the cost. It won't be pretty as I'm going to use up a bunch of odds and ends for the carcass but once painted (if I get around to it!) nobody will notice...

I did pull the trigger and buy a 3 1/4 hp (Porter-Cable 75182 Variable speed) motor only from Amazon. With my Prime membership, it was 303 bucks with free shipping. To help offset the cost of this build I'm going to sell my DeWalt 625 3hp on eBay, once I take it out of my router table. It has been a good router but in the table I have now, it just wasn't easy to use. I think I should be able to get 150 buck for it.

And to think, all of this got started when I thought I would just "upgrade" the fence!! LOL

Sorry for the rambling post......

Sorry I don't have any photos to show... I've been away long enough that I've forgotten how to post them! LOL I don't even remember how to re-size a photo to make an avatar... Oh, the fun of old age!! ;)

I will keep you guys posted as this project takes shape.

Good show, Royall. I kind of figured that is the one you would choose. I might do one too.

Is there a reason why the plan calls for 3/4 rod? I have wondered why 1/2" or even 5/8" might not work. There might be a chance of finding that size easier, maybe? But you already ordered the 3/4.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on this.

Aloha, my friend.

@ Tony....... I don't know why they specified 3/4"..... What ever reason, I don't have to worry about it now... the part just came to the door a few minutes ago! To top it off, the new 3 1/4hp router motor was at the post office today!! I've got everything now to get the lift put together. I don't think it will fit in the router table I have now because I don't think there will be enough clearance under the table.

@ Randal....... Never heard of that company... If I get a wild hair to start another project that calls for odd hardware, I my give them a try! I think the next brain twister will be to see if I can rework the inside dimensions of the mounting block and clamp to work with and center the new larger motor with out screwing the block up and have to do another glue up. :)

Me too Glenn. I brought the block and clamp into the house and did some layout while watching Jeopardy. After a few minutes, I figured out where I need to make the cuts to hold the motor. The way the block and clamp assy. is designed, the motor is held in place and on center at 3 points. I don't think there is enough material in this design to go with a motor any bigger than this Porter-Cable. If I need anything bigger, I would just get a shaper! LOL I would have done more with it today but I had to go vacuum up a swarm of bees up towards Volcano Village... Good day, didn't get stung once!

Edit to add:

Hey Tony, I'll keep the measurements for this motor if you follow through with a build like this yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks Royall. I was at the "big" shop yesterday to do some sign work. (That's where I keep my computers that run the vinyl cutter and the CNC router table {not assembled now} and a bunch of my older out of commission machines) I was looking over an old Craftsman 10" radial arm saw. The lift screw and gears and shafts looked interesting. I may have had what I needed all along, but thanks to you, I am seeing these in a different light. I will let you know what and if.

Aloha friend.

Well, its been awhile but I finally got back out to the shop for some "ME" time. Should have spent it cleaning the darn place but wanted to get the router lift together and installed. Luckily, the new lift fit into the old bench top router cabinet, that will be upgraded soon, and could see how well it is going to work.

1017141426.jpg

As you can see in the photo, there are some homemade set screws in the bottom two nuts on the threaded shaft. Plans called for locking nuts but didn't have any. Drilled and tapped for 1/4x20 bolts. Cut the heads off and ground a screw driver slot in the top with a Dremel tool. Yeah, would have faster with the locking nuts but it is what it is!

1017141426a.jpg

1017141427.jpg

Got the router/lift assembly set in the cabinet and went to have a little "test drive"... NOT..... I don't know what is wrong but the collet won't tighten the bit into place. The router is a Porter-Cable 7518 series motor only with the 2 wrench collet. I tightened the collet as tight as I could but I can still lift the bit right out of the collet! For some reason, I pulled on it and glad I did! I think things could have gotten real ugly, real fast if I had flipped the switch and had the bit flying around the shop.

Any ideas on what to do with the collet would be greatly appreciated!

I assume it wasn't cross threading. Did you pull the bit up about 1/16" prior to wrenching it down? Don't tighten it with it bottomed out in the collet. Lastly try another bit or check for cracks in the collet fingers

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk