Homemade Router Lift

Thanks Darrin and Glenn, Nice to get something done.... I've tried two different length 1/2" bits.. One wasn't long enough to to bottom out the other was bud did not let it go that far. It isn't cross threaded... just don't have a clue. I did buy a 1/4" collet for the motor. I'll try that one tomorrow.

Two issues with the collet. Larry got one: bit is bottomed out. Second issue is that the collet and more so the socket it fits into is not pristine clean. Three solutions.

1. Don't bottom out the bit.
2. Clean everything, preferably with a solvent.
3. Buy a new collet. Should be less than $20.

If the 1/4" collet tightens down, then for sure buy a new 1/2" collet.

And your are right. A bit that flies out of the spinning collet is a very scary deal. And if you are in the line of fire, the wound is much worse than a bullet wound. DAMHIKT! Not me, but I had to do the clean up.

BTW, new collect much cheaper than trip to the ER.

Aha! Then I really suspect the collet as being defective. Of course, if the 1/4" collet doesn't work either, then the motor needs replacing. Cheapest way out will be to discover any possible operator error. :rolleyes: :D :wave:

As Carol said, try the 1/4" collect to determine if it is in the collet or router (your going to keep the 1/4" one anyway if they have to warranty you out).

I seem to remember someone getting a router years back, where the collet was drilled for another country, and things didn't fit quite right. (think they received an 8mm instead of 1/4") So it could be drilled wrong, or something like that.

My Milwaukee collets come in two parts and you have to pop them together. I am not familiar with the PC collet but, assume the collet and the nut are separate pieces. Are they assembled correctly?

collet.jpg

Last edited:
OK, have pixs of what I'm working with. CIMG0271.jpg Love having the collet above the table!

This is how the colles is assembled.

CIMG0272.jpgCIMG0273.jpg

This is a shot of the inside of the motor shaft.... and the bottom end of the collet.

CIMG0274.jpgCIMG0275.jpg

I did put the 1/4" collet on the motor and put a bit in. I tightened up just fine. I'm thinking the problem is with the 1/2" collet itself.

OK, mystery solved!! I took both collets (1/4" and 1/2") and inspected this is what I found.......

CIMG0276.jpg

As you can see, the threads in the nut on the left don't run as deep as the on the right. So the nut would stop turning before the collet tightened against the bit. Now, wait and see if I can get replacement from the seller!

Amazing Amazon!!! They wanted me to sent the whole motor back. I told them the motor was already installed in the table and it would be be an inconvenience and that it would be easier and cheaper to just send me a new collet assembly. The women said they couldn't do that but then asked if they could refund me 20% of the order back to my account instead. Whoa!!! OK, I'll take the 62 dollar refund and buy a 14 buck collet!! That brings the cost of my motor down to about 246 bucks!

Last edited:
Solutions come to he who hustles while he waits. Good going Royall. Glad they treated you right.

Your new PC router motor looks just about like the 5202 I have. I have not started on my lift yet, but I will be in contact again.

Hope you are staying dry. Been raining and some windy all day here.

Aloha.

@ Tony: When you're ready to build the lift give me a call it you run into any problems. Be glad to help.

@Jay: Good idea! Wish I hadn't pulled the trigger so fast last night to order the new collet from Amazon! Oh, well... if PC sends me a new one, I'll put it away just in case I bugger one up in the future! But we all know what happens next.... When you need it, you can't find it until you BUY another one! ;)

I guess who ever made the units practiced that age old trick of blending the scrap parts in with the good stuff. Just like boxes of screws where you buy a 100 and get one or two bad ones thrown in the box. One way to get rid of the rejects.

I am with Jay i would still call porter cable. :thumb:

Good that you figured out the mystery Royall. :thumb: I'd call PC, and if they replace it and really don't need an extra, can always do a free return to amazon within 30 days.