HF #13 - Curly Maple/Cherry Hybrid

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This one has no name yet...I'm open to suggestions.

This little piece is made from some wood that was billed as cherry/maple hybrid...I have no idea if such a thing actually exists, but it's pretty, curly wood nonetheless. The collar is walnut (ebonized with a Sharpie pen). It's about 3 1/4" wide by 2 1/2" tall. Finished with Antique Oil and buffed. This was my first attempt at making a contrasting collar, and although I'm pretty happy with it, I learned things that I'll be able to apply on the next ones. I think it's a bit oversized for such a small piece, and I think it might look better with a bit different profile. I was successful at continuing the curve of the shoulder into the collar, which was my goal, but now that I've seen it, I think it could use a bit more visual excitement shape-wise.

Here again, I haven't decided on a favorite among this group of pics, so you'll just have to wade through all of them :) Let me know if you have a favorite.

HF13 - 02 800.jpg HF13 - 10 800.jpg HF13 - 04 800.jpg HF13 - 12 800.jpg HF13 - 06 800.jpg HF13 - 14 800.jpg HF13 - 08 800.jpg HF13 - 16 800.jpg

Comments? Suggestions? Critiques? ;)

Boy that is nice, I really like the shape and the collar :clap:
Love the "ebonized with a Sharpie pen" bit, I'll have to add that trick to the database! :D

Vaughn my man.....You are going hog wild with this HF stuff!

I like the overall form. I think the collar is a little to big and overpowers the rest of the HF.I like the contrasting woods.

Overall Great wood and form. Keep at it my friend ....you are doing well!

Morning Vaughn. Very good looking piece.

The shape is classic. The piece gives the feel that it is solid on the base.

The only question I have and it might be an optical illusion; is, the collar appears to not be a smooth transition into the main body.

Overall it's a piece that anyone would be proud to display.

Bruce

...The only question I have and it might be an optical illusion; is, the collar appears to not be a smooth transition into the main body...
Here's a little closer detail of the transition:

DSC_1914 Detail.jpg

I eased the knife edge of the collar a bit, so you can indeed feel the transition, but that was what I had in mind. (And it sure was a knife edge...I've got the cuts on my thumb and finger to prove it.) ;) Keep in mind that there was no sanding done on the collar after it was attached to the HF...it was colored before being attached, and sanding would have removed the black.

Thanks for the compliments guys -