Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a good argument for home defense preparedness

a good argument for home defense preparedness

This happened not far from my home.
    http://www.baxtercountysheriff.com/p...ew.php?id=1346
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Growing up not very far from the state, federal, and military penitentiaries there were frequent escapes. Typically dad just left the key in the truck, as those folks just wanted a way to get away, but there were always loaded shotguns near the doors. I think a lot of those have gone down since they were typically trustees that were on work detail that walked away, now days they put the gps ankle bracelets on them and such so they don't get very far if they try.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Two nasty sounds to hear in the dark: The slide of a .45 going home, and the slam of a Remington 870 bolt closing. I keep both close at hand.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

there have been push in robberies in my area the past couple of years.

the thing is, and I know everyone will say well Id rather have a gun than no gun at all and I agree, but.........

remember a few things.

you are sleeping, you think you hear a sound, odds are the criminal is already in your home. His adrenaline is pumping at a much higher rate than yours who was just woke out of a deep sleep.
    The only advantage you have is you know your home better than him, but that's it.

you don't know how you will react until it happens.
    the surge in your blood pressure and adrenaline could disorient you.

if youre going to shoot a high powered handgun, you better make sure you don't shoot through walls and harm family members, or the neighbor.
    its most likely the guy breaking into your home at 3 am is only a thief, he wants no confrontation, but cornered, he may become deadly.

years ago, when I carried, Id shoot in a range where court guards were trained.

The owner let me shoot as long as I didn't disrupt them.

Id follow along. I don't remember everything they did, but I remember jogging in place for whatever time, then turning around a couple of times, then the range would go dark, lights would flash, sirens would burst, and the range instructor said shoot.
    After standing and shooting 9 out of 10 shots into the sweet spot on the bad guy target, it was amazing I would be so far off sometimes it shocked me.
    The adrenaline rush and dark made it so difficult to shoot right on command. I didn't stay for most of the training, there was a lot of discussion, not my thing, but I do know that its 10 times harder than people think who shoot rifles or handguns at targets or hunt.
    when someone live is lurking and you don't know if your life is in danger, its a completely different ballgame, and even the most accurate marksman can falter.

I think having a good home security system would be a far better deterent to people who break into homes and know its easier to try someone else home when they see yours is alarmed.
    Last edited by allen levine; 09-29-2014 at 12:25 AM.
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    there have been push in robberies in my area the past couple of years.

the thing is, and I know everyone will say well Id rather have a gun than no gun at all and I agree, but.........

remember a few things.

you are sleeping, you think you hear a sound, odds are the criminal is already in your home. His adrenaline is pumping at a much higher rate than yours who was just woke out of a deep sleep.
    The only advantage you have is you know your home better than him, but that's it.

you don't know how you will react until it happens.
    the surge in your blood pressure and adrenaline could disorient you.

if youre going to shoot a high powered handgun, you better make sure you don't shoot through walls and harm family members, or the neighbor.
    its most likely the guy breaking into your home at 3 am is only a thief, he wants no confrontation, but cornered, he may become deadly.

years ago, when I carried, Id shoot in a range where court guards were trained.

The owner let me shoot as long as I didn't disrupt them.

Id follow along. I don't remember everything they did, but I remember jogging in place for whatever time, then turning around a couple of times, then the range would go dark, lights would flash, sirens would burst, and the range instructor said shoot.
    After standing and shooting 9 out of 10 shots into the sweet spot on the bad guy target, it was amazing I would be so far off sometimes it shocked me.
    The adrenaline rush and dark made it so difficult to shoot right on command. I didn't stay for most of the training, there was a lot of discussion, not my thing, but I do know that its 10 times harder than people think who shoot rifles or handguns at targets or hunt.
    when someone live is lurking and you don't know if your life is in danger, its a completely different ballgame, and even the most accurate marksman can falter.

I think having a good home security system would be a far better deterent to people who break into homes and know its easier to try someone else home when they see yours is alarmed.
    Allen,
    I think I agree with your post... I don't own a gun, I don't want to own a gun, I don't shoot, haven't since a teenager, last time I know for certain that I shot was off the fan tail of my ship as I "qualified" with the Colt 45... I'm pretty sure I hit the pacific ocean.

Things in the house are just things... they can be insured and replaced. I've been burglarized 3 times in my life and insurance replaced all the things taken... but I still have all my loved ones and no one got hurt in the burglaries... there are a few of the things taken that had a lot of sentimental value, but again they were just things.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    ... I think having a good home security system would be a far better deterent to people who break into homes and know its easier to try someone else home when they see yours is alarmed.
    Sometimes, the burglar is too stupid to read the signs in in your yard or on your house. Shortly after we moved to Florida in 1998, I had a security system installed at our home. Both of us were away from our home at work most of the day and we frequently went out or on vacations. One day, after we had lived there a couple of years, I got a call from the security company that we had an alarm. I left my office immediately. The sheriff's office had been notified and arrived just before me. When I drove up, they asked if I had a key and I unlocked the front door. There was no sign of any problem. However, the house next door to us had been ransacked, money and a gun stolen, etc. We had no damage of any kind, partly because we had failed to lock the glass doors going to our lanai from our family room. When the burglars got to our house, they pried open the door and set off the alarm. The only thing I saw outdoors was a suspicious brown spot on the ground.

We also have an alarm system on our home in Georgia now. The greatest deterrent in our neighborhood is neighbors who look out for each other. Oh, and the weapons we all keep. I've had little concern about confronting a burglar who might try to break in while we're home. For many years, I've had a pump-action 12ga loaded with 00buck. If the sound of the pump doesn't make them mess their pants, the discharge will make sure they don't bother anyone else.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Allen: remember my background & training....

Bill: The first two up the pipe of my 870 are sixes - a little less damaging to the house than #00. The 3rd and 4th ARE #00, though - just in case...

The .45 has 9 Glaser Safety Slugs in an extended magazine.
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 09-29-2014 at 02:09 AM.
    Jim D.

I have reservations about discussing firearms ownership and home defense preparedness in a public arena where real names and locations are shown. I know the odds are against it, but bad people might be listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I have reservations about discussing firearms ownership and home defense preparedness in a public arena where real names and locations are shown. I know the odds are against it, but bad people might be listening.
    I hear ya, Ted. Down in this part of the world, it's unusual for a household NOT to have some kind of firearm. If someone decides to take away our protection, they'll find out how well it works when an entire community is standing in front of them.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I hear ya, Ted. Down in this part of the world, it's unusual for a household NOT to have some kind of firearm. If someone decides to take away our protection, they'll find out how well it works when an entire community is standing in front of them.
    Yep! Same here.
    Jim D.