Sanding source?

Ned Bulken

OK guys & gals, I'm in the 'rough out' stage of my massive batch of turning. I can see that I'll eventually need more '80 grit gouge' material etc... Woodcraft has the 'woodturner's pack', which gives a decent range of grits. I have two rolls of 1" sandpaper 120 and 240 grits, enough that It'll be years before I use it up. I can pick up the replacement grit rolls at $5.50/ea for the higher grits, but there has to be a better source for paper, and those foam backed sanding pads that chuck into a drill/driver. Thanks in Advance...

I use Vince's products. The vast majority of my sanding is on a sander (drill-mounted spinning pad or 2" ROS). I use his blue disks.

http://vinceswoodnwonders.com/store/

Best bang for the buck I've found.

What little lathe sanding I do with sheet paper I do with Norton 3X paper cut into small pieces.

While I love me some Norton 3x paper (Norton 3x paper is best paper as far as paper goes although some of the 3M products give it a run for the money) I would have to ask if you're not yet using Mirka Abranet, why not!

While I won't go quite so far as to say its the best thing since sliced bread its darn close. Costs a smidge more but lasts a lot more than a smidge longer, cuts cleaner and doesn't clog up nearly as fast (expecially if you're doing turn->finish on not entirely dry wood and want to get a first pass sanding done).

The main downside is that it wants to be either "open" (no backer - aka hand sanding and we all know how much fun that is) or you need positive airflow (which means a sander hooked up to a vacuum) which in turn means that I can't use it on things like my little 2" power sander setup which is a darn shame! This means it wouldn't work for Vaughns setup for beans.

Still the cats meow for hand sanding or for larger sanders that have decent airflow though (do get the mirka abranet backing pad or you'll burn up the stock velcro hooks on the regular pad on your sander :eek:).

... (do get the mirka abranet backing pad or you'll burn up the stock velcro hooks on the regular pad on your sander :eek:).

I bet you have a Festool sander. Their "stick fix" hook and loop (or whatever it is called) has far longer hooks on the sanding pad, which go all the way through abranet and get worn off (DAMHIK). I have not had the problem on my Bosch and other sanders.

I'm in the 'rough out' stage of my massive batch of turning.

I am assuming you are talking about bowls/platters. You are not sanding "rough outs" which you will put back to dry are you?
If so there is no need.

Another + for Vinces. I use the blue flex but I understand he has a new green flex that some say are even better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet you have a Festool sander. Their "stick fix" hook and loop (or whatever it is called) has far longer hooks on the sanding pad, which go all the way through abranet and get worn off (DAMHIK). I have not had the problem on my Bosch and other sanders.

Right in one! Interesting to hear that the Bosch & friends don't have the problem. The interface pad isn't horribly expensive though (once the initial lesson is learned...)

Right in one! Interesting to hear that the Bosch & friends don't have the problem. The interface pad isn't horribly expensive though (once the initial lesson is learned...)

Once you have a Festool sanding pad with no hooks, you can glue a Mirka interface pad to it, and continue to use it with Mirka hooks on your Festool pad. Just be sure the glue is very even so the pad is flat. I can't remember what glue I used, since it was several years ago.

Once you have a Festool sanding pad with no hooks, you can glue a Mirka interface pad to it, and continue to use it with Mirka hooks on your Festool pad. Just be sure the glue is very even so the pad is flat. I can't remember what glue I used, since it was several years ago.

Good idea, I'll hang onto it for the next time .. (not saying there'll be a next time.. but.. there could be a next time :eek:).