Some big and small cutting boards

Jeff Bower

A couple weeks ago my wife's aunt sent me a note that she wanted a big cutting board that she could hang on the wall. She saw one in a store in Boulder, CO and sent me the picute. She told me who had made the board and after looking at his site, I realized it was 21.5" x 31.5" including the handle. :eek: His were all birdseye maple and quite expensive. She asked how much and I told her I'd send it to her in a few weeks as a house warming gift for her new place in the Boulder area. I had some nice looking ambrosia maple that I picked up for close to nothing awhile ago so I decided to make a trial board a bit smaller. It is 18 X 24 and it will be residing in my kitchen as my wife liked it. The other 2 smaller boards are from left overs from the maple I had. One of those will be added to the package for my wifes aunt and the other will be a thank you gift for a friends dad who is allowing a group of our friends to use his condo at Table Rock Lake this weekend.

BTW, my wife's aunt said "Thanks so much!" to me making the board for a housewarming gift, but then she sent me a check in the mail without me knowing. She said to use it to take the wife out for a nice dinner...:thumb:

Attachments

• 20140924_172258.jpg
    20140924_172258.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20140927_112958.jpg
    IMG_20140927_112958.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20140928_192304.jpg
    20140928_192304.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20140928_195014.jpg
    IMG_20140928_195014.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20140928_192313.jpg
    20140928_192313.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 49
Those are dandies. Very nice and beautiful wood. Methinks the size of a board would be limited to the capacity of the planer one has in his shop. A belt sander might subsitute, I suppose.

Those are dandies. Very nice and beautiful wood. Methinks the size of a board would be limited to the capacity of the planer one has in his shop. A belt sander might subsitute, I suppose.

Thanks Frank.:thumb: No planer in my shop...I just used a card scraper to get rid of the glue squeeze out and a ROS sander with 80, 120, 180 and 220 grit. I've had to use the belt sander before, but got lucky this time I guess.

Those look great Jeff. What a nice gesture giving her a housewarming gift and knowing just what she wanted to boot.

Thanks Glenn. :thumb: She has purchased about a dozen or so bowls from me over the years for xmas gifts as well so I know she likes what I make, but getting a picture to go on helped quite a bit! :)

Those are nice and a relative that is willing to PAY! How novel. My relative say can you make this and when will it be done. They act like they are doing me the favor!

My daughter just sent me a picture this morning of a treasure chest box she wants made. She tried the challenge approach, "if you don't have time to make something, let me know, I could probably do this" The old, "if you can't make it I can" challenge. Well I'll show her.... :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys! :thumb: It was nice to get in the shop and make something...this summer has been full of nothing but no shop time.

Paul, go get em! :)