Thread: OK, now

OK, now

that I have the Rikon mini on order and should arive in the next couple of days, is there any need to buy the bed extention other than to make a baseball bat for the wife to chase Ken and Vaughn?

IMHO, a mini is a mini. If you intend to do larger stuff, get a larger lathe.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Thanks Frank,
    That is my opinion also. I don't really want to get into spindles and things like that.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

I think that lathe will be on the market for some time, so if you do need to get an extension, you can, at a later date.

I put an extension on my Nova DVR so I could make some table legs, as the standard version was just too short, but I've found that having the extra length is great, I used to remove the tail stop from the ways when I was bowl turning, no need to now, just run it down the end of the extension and it is well out of the way!!

I think the Rikon with an extension will do well for things like stair spindles and chair parts.

But, like I said, I see no need to get one right away, unless you really do want to make that baseball bat
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

extensions...

And the neat thing is you can add multiple extensions... So you can go as far as you want.

I'm thinking about turning a whole tree at one time...
    George Blevins
    Astriapo@earthlink.net

Quote Originally Posted by George Blevins View Post
    And the neat thing is you can add multiple extensions... So you can go as far as you want.

I'm thinking about turning a whole tree at one time...
    Did you see Bill Grumbine's website wherein he turned a mast for his dinghy? .... in one piece ?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Did you see Bill Grumbine's website wherein he turned a mast for his dinghy? .... in one piece ?
    No I didn't, sounds interesting.. All I can say is I'm not get'n my dinghy anywhere near that thing.

I love my Rikon.
    George Blevins
    Astriapo@earthlink.net

Chuck I have one of the Rikon's and love it. It will do a 11 3/4" bowl. So that little lathe should keep you going for some time to come.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.