Making of Miss October

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I got inspired last night and put together a blog entry detailing how I made one of my favorite bowls. I would have posted the write-up here, but there were 30 some-odd photos to go with it, so I decided to dust off the blog and put it there. Many of you have seen the finished piece, but since I had a bunch or progress pics, I figured I'd share the process. Here's the blog article:

http://workingwoods.com/blog/wordpress/2014/10/03/the-making-of-miss-october/

And here's a teaser...

Bowl%20092%20-%2001%20800.jpg

Interesting to see the progression on that one; really nice to see all the steps.

You're a lot more confident with color than I would be. It works out well though when you do it :D

I have a couple pieces in the pipeline that I'll share once they get closer than are perhaps a bit reminiscent of this turning style (minus the fantastic dye job :thumb:).

Also have a couple that could benefit from the epoxy treatment :eek:

Miss October is beautiful ;) I dont think you should be left to look after her all on your own, i got a good home for her in a safe place where she may enjoy the admiration she would get. Let me know when you get tired of her. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys. This one was a fun project.

...You're a lot more confident with color than I would be...

Just go for it. ;) Worse comes to worst, you go get another hunk of wood and try again. Or simply dye the whole thing solid black. (I've done that on failed color experiments.)