Cutting Board with Bent Laminations

glenn bradley

I saw one of these in an email . . . from Fine Woodworking I think. Dad's neighbors have been very helpful since mom passed and I wanted to thank them. I feel it is presumptuous to give someone a wall cabinet or picture frame that may not be their style. Since she likes to cook and he likes to eat, I thought this would work well. I wasn't real sure how to go about it so I just blatantly copied the picture although I believe mine is smaller. I used hard maple as the basis for the blank and walnut, cherry and padouk for the inlay. I glued up the blank, marked out a curve that I liked, transferred that curve to a pattern and faired the curve with a file.

CB with Inlay (1).jpg . CB with Inlay (2).jpg . CB with Inlay (3).jpg . CB with Inlay (4).jpg

Clamp the pattern to the blank and use a template collar on the router to route a curved groove. Saw the blank apart on the bandsaw, smooth the inside edges and clamp the first laminated inlay between the halves restoring the blank to rectangular.

CB with Inlay (5).jpg . CB with Inlay (6).jpg . CB with Inlay (7).jpg

This was my first go at this thing so I went overkill on the clamps :).

Cont'd . . . .

Last edited:
You clamp the pattern in place and use the router to trim the extra wide laminate down to near-flush. I used a card scraper to get it on down to flush on both sides.

CB with Inlay (8).jpg . CB with Inlay (10).jpg . CB with Inlay (11).jpg

You decide on where your next curve will be cut, clamp on the pattern and route a curved groove . . . again. Cut along the groove on the bandsaw . . . again, etc. And then do it yet again.

CB with Inlay (9).jpg

Once the lamination parts are all in I used a beam compass to draw some curves on all four outer edges. I bandsaw'd these near the line and then rasped/sanded to the line. I rigged up a piece of scrap as a concave "fence" for the router table and here's the first pass on the finger grips.

CB with Inlay (12).jpg . CB with Inlay (13).jpg

I''' cut them a bit deeper and ease the sharp edges. Then I'll scrape/plane/sand it to suit and give it a mineral oil soak.

Last edited:
Very nice. :thumb: I've done similar laminations for a few different flatwork projects, but without the cool crossing curves you did.

Glen
That is Avery neat looking board. Your friend will be delighted but will be afraid to use it.
Does give me some thoughts for future project.
Much bueno
David

Nice board Glenn. How do you rout your finger grooves without burning at the ends?
I have never been able to do them without at least a little burning.

I run the bit slow since it is on the large size and do the groove in steps (which helps me practice the movements). For the last pass I "adjust" the fence back by tapping it with the heel of my hand. This gives me a very light last pass that I do fairly quickly (now that I have had practice) :).

Last edited:
Thanks all. Here's a shot of it without being all soaking wet. This was fun. Now that I have the hang of it I want to try some with my own twist on it.

CB with Inlay (17).jpg

Have you considered making the second or third curve go the other direction? Thinking left to right, start up rather than starting down? Or the same direction with the board turned over?

Gorgeous board. I've often thought I might try one of these myself but found it a little intimidating. Your step by step postings are always clear and inspiring and this one is no exception. I've made a mental note to revisit this some time in the future when I have a sufficient amount of maple scrap to make a board.