Weekend work in East Freetown, Ma.

Leo Voisine

I built this quickie firewood shelter over the last week or so. I really needed to get my firewood stacked before it got cold out and the snow covered the ground. All of that is generally something around Christmas time - so - I am ahead of schedule.

I was wanting it be be finished my Columbus Day week. It's done early.

The shelter is full 8 feet long and a full 4 feet deep. The back wall is 4-1.2 feet high and the front is 5 feet high. I stuffed above that in between the framing for the roof. It is safe to say - there is 1.25 cords INSIDE that little shelter. There was more wood in the pile and I stacked it outside the shelter about another 1/4 cord. All together - that's about 1-1/3 cords, on the conservative side.

I stacked about half the pile today, and the other half after work, a little at a time, this past week.

Soo - the wood is all stacked, except a couple of small piles around the yard.

Conservatively I have 6 cords stacked in the video. Realistically - there is between 7-8 cords.

I burn about 1.5 to 2.0 cords per year and that is my primary heat source.

I figure about $400 for the heating season from Late October to mid April.

The only time I use the furnace and burn oil is on mid October and late April to take the chill off. Days that are in the extreme cold for this New England Area - I do NOT burn oil - there is no need to do that.

I burn only premium wood that is 2 years old.

As a compulsive finicky wood stacker I have to say well done, Leo. When there's a foot of snow on the ground, there's something comforting in having those neatly stacked rows of warmth and cheer sitting there waiting their turn to go to the show.

Awesome. :thumb: Amazing how you got the wood trained to jump onto the trailer then jump into the shelter. :D

Great supply of fuel. Lots of stacking. Did you also cut and split it all?

$400 for the heating season, that's pretty good!

Very artisitic video too, nice music.

Now when you go to the Doc next time and he says your a healthy as a horse, you'll know why.

Especially if it takes a couple of aspirines to get the creaks out the next morning--lol

As a compulsive finicky wood stacker I have to say well done, Leo. When there's a foot of snow on the ground, there's something comforting in having those neatly stacked rows of warmth and cheer sitting there waiting their turn to go to the show.

I love the woodstove and the firewood.

Ted - as a compulsive finicky stacker myself - I understand what you said. thank you

I still need to straighten it up a bit.

I have one more corragated roof to make - then I am going to trim the top of the outer stack - than cover it.

I keep telling people that the woodstack NEEDS to "look" cool too.

The wood I burn is always 2 years old, oak and maple.

Leo, Ted, and any of you other finicky woodpile stackers, I hereby issue a challenge:

woodpile-11.jpg

or:

woodpile-2.jpg

Wow, I've never seen anything like those pics before.

You guys like to stack, I like to split by hand with an axe.

No actuly I like to sit in front of the fire on a cold night after

a good meal and just relax.

I've lived in many places, a few had fireplaces, and one a nice

woodstove, but I have to admit the convenience of central

heating and the comfort is nice too.

but I have to admit the convenience of central

heating and the comfort is nice too.

Well convenience may be one thing - but comfort - no.

I have been heating with a woodstove for 30 plus years. I have it down t a point whereas I don't over heat the house. That takes some practice.

But - the comfort - wow - I will never get that burning oil (central heat).

PLUS - just sitting in my recliner with all lights shut off and watching that fire is just soooo soothing.

Wow, you certainly are neat in the wood stacking department. My wood shed is a 32 X 12 ft. lean to with a 11 ft. height at the back of the barn wall. I will fill it up and burn it all 5-6 times per winter. Last year was
brutal.
I burn a face cord every 2-3 days during the cold months. I heat our house, the hot water and my woodshop with the out-door boiler. I don't bother stacking it to much, I try to keep the blocks aligned some, but cut the logs 2-3 ft. long depending on the circumference and how heavy I want to man handle into the beast.

Got a furnace man coming in a few days to install a new high efficiency natural gas furnace. I will supplement with the stove some but my wood cutting winter exercise program is going to be much less this winter. I am launching a new business and it will take up all my time.

Paul - I have a hard time fathoming that.

I burn at most 2 cords. Granted I do not heat hot water and I don't heat my shop.

But - unless my numbers are off - you burn 165 cords of wood per year ????

32 feet x 12 feet = 384 sq feet

384 x 11 feet high = 4224 cubit feet

one cord = 128 cubic feet

4224 / 128 = 33 cords

33 cords times 5 times = 165 cords.

Am I missing something?

If you are burning that much wood - wow - I would love to see that operation.

I pay 200 for one cord - green

165 cords would cost me $33,000 per year.

You must be quite well off financially.

If that were me - I would NEED to find another way to live