Several years ago when LOML and I were on a cruise, we picked up two hand-painted ceramic tiles in Costa Maya, Mexico. One of my tasks was to make a frame to hold them. Well, here we are - time passed - larger projects took their toll, etc., etc. I wanted to build something that would set off the tiles and look nice but not overpower the tiles. Here's what I ended up doing:
I chose cherry and spalted maple for some character.
The internal smaller pieces are simply butt-glued; longer rails are joined to the stiles using mini-pocket screws and glue. I ran a keyhole slot in each stile for hanging.
To strengthen the actual framing pieces, I cut a 1/8" groove in the sides and glued in a strip of cherry.
Plain shot of the front.
Here's what it will look like when ready to hang on a wall.
The tiles are 4.25" square; overall dimensions of the frame are 23" by 14.5".
Momma's happy so I'm happy!