Frame for Tiles

Bill Arnold

Staff member
Several years ago when LOML and I were on a cruise, we picked up two hand-painted ceramic tiles in Costa Maya, Mexico. One of my tasks was to make a frame to hold them. Well, here we are - time passed - larger projects took their toll, etc., etc. I wanted to build something that would set off the tiles and look nice but not overpower the tiles. Here's what I ended up doing:

I chose cherry and spalted maple for some character.

The internal smaller pieces are simply butt-glued; longer rails are joined to the stiles using mini-pocket screws and glue. I ran a keyhole slot in each stile for hanging.
Frame2Tile1_a.jpg

To strengthen the actual framing pieces, I cut a 1/8" groove in the sides and glued in a strip of cherry.
Frame2Tile1_b.jpg

Plain shot of the front.
Frame2Tile1_c.jpg

Here's what it will look like when ready to hang on a wall.
Frame2Tile1_d.jpg

The tiles are 4.25" square; overall dimensions of the frame are 23" by 14.5".

Momma's happy so I'm happy!
:)

That's pretty cool Bill, I like how they are off set a bit and the maple and cherry look great together. :thumb: Where'd you get the metal shells on the corners?

That's pretty cool Bill, I like how they are off set a bit and the maple and cherry look great together. :thumb: Where'd you get the metal shells on the corners?

Thanks, Jeff. The shells are real sea shells we collected from beaches mostly in Florida. Every time we go to the beach, we walk up and down the beach for exercise and look for shells.

Love that Caribbean feel. Great design for the theme. It would feel at home in any bungalow where the sound of the surf rolls in the glassless windows. That reminds me, its time to go back to Jamaica.

Bill
How did you fix tiles in the rabbits? Glue or little keepers? Want to do some for family.
David

I put a dab of hot melt adhesive in each corner of the rabbet, placed the tile, then ran a bead of hot melt along the edges of each tile and mashed it in place with a small putty knife. Not very elegant but it should hold a while. It's hanging on a wall, so nobody should see it except LOML and me.

Nicely done, Bill. :thumb: I'll bet it'll look even better as the cherry ages and you get more contrast between it and the maple.

Bill i really like the two woods you have used. I have never worked with spalted wood. Love the look of it especially when its finished and the lines show well. Is the wood very soft and fragile? I know spalting is essentially the wood rotting and mold creeping in butt is the wood almost punky neccesitating that cherry support ( nice touch anyhow) ?
Shells are cherry on the cake. Dont think wooden carved ones would have been the same or had same effect.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Bill i really like the two woods you have used. I have never worked with spalted wood. Love the look of it especially when its finished and the lines show well. Is the wood very soft and fragile? I know spalting is essentially the wood rotting and mold creeping in butt is the wood almost punky neccesitating that cherry support ( nice touch anyhow) ?
Shells are cherry on the cake. Dont think wooden carved ones would have been the same or had same effect.

The pieces of spalted maple I used for the frame are really quite solid and firm. I have other pieces of spalted maple that are a bit punky. I recently turned a box lid that I had to saturate with thin CA before I could finish turning it.

Never gave a thought to carved shells since we have quite a collection. The real ones go better with the real tiles, we think.

Very nice work. Those species of wood go together nicely. Also, nice finish job.

Thanks, Kevin. That reminded me that I didn't mention the finish process I used. Duh on my part. Anyway, I used a couple of coats of tung oil that I wiped thoroughly, then let cure for a few days. Topcoat is three coats of rattle can lacquer. Then, a light buffing with a synthetic pad before applying the shells.