Lock Miter Master

fred hargis

I shared this on only one other forum for those that may have seen it, but I have some upcoming cabinets to build that will have side panels joined to the face frame by lock miter joints. I had recently bought the bit for my router table, and then picked up the Lock Miter Master to help with the set up (that's the jig for using this forum). This thing isn't exactly cheap considering what you get: less than 1 oz. of aluminum and earth magnets but it is a really precision made gizmo. Anyway, I needed to test this stuff out, so I set the bit up using the LMM carefully following the instructions. Bear in mind, I've never used one of these bits, and this was my first cut ever. I got a near perfect lock miter with the first pass. In the pick, if you look at the outside corner you see I need just a little tweaking, but I got this done in 15 minutes. So if you have some of these coming up, this thing may be worth considering...I'm sure I could have got it with trial and error but this was a heck of a lot easier. Anyway, the pic:
LM_zps8b5fa2b5.jpg

Not bad for the first try Fred, It looks like you have a winner with the new jig. I have seen them advertised and often wondered if it was like some of the other gimmicks that I have seen advertised. Thanks for posting, I appears that it is worth getting to set up the bit.

fred i dont know if you have used that joint much but i have found that to leave it thicker on one side like you show is a good thing,, one you can have some sanding room and two the seam if it shows at all will only be seen from one side.. and i now have that little set up jig and think it is a good investment..

Thanks for the tip....I haven't used that joint at all (yet) but will over the next few months as I have several cabinets to build. I'll try a few more and check leaving that thicker edge. I think most folks would find it (the jig) useful (if they need that joint) but I suspect the price makes it a little hard to justify.

I'm not sure, like I said it's a first time for me. I may try a test cut on some and see what happens. My belief is that it will be similar to DT's. That is is, it will work but may have some raggedness to it. If I get time to test it, I'll post a picture.

I wasn't able to get to this yesterday, so tried it this morning. Rob asked about BB, and I cut one on some scrap I had. Since I had knocked down the first setup, I redid it and noticed it went a little faster, though as you'll see in the cut I'm still off a hair. Anyway, I was quite surprised about how smooth the cut was...though I'm less sure about increased strength in the joint. It's only my guess that it is stronger (it's certainly aligned better), but I think the plys may not hold as well as hardwood. Regardless, here's how the BB came out when I tried it:
LMply_zps1c9db7c2.jpg

Attachments

• LMply_zps1c9db7c2.jpg
    LMply_zps1c9db7c2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 20
fred, notice that little dip at the end of the cut, that is one problem with making those joints. when you get tot he end you have nothing to maintain even pressure and the part wants to dip in... what i have come up with is one make parts longer, do this joint first before and mortise or other joints so you dont mess up position or you need to maintain the fence a little smaller on the after cut side like a jointer would be....