Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jet Lathe on the Market

New Jet Lathe on the Market

Looks like Jet has a new one, a 1440 with a Reeves drive variable speed:

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/new-pr...ts/1440-lathe/

No mention of how many horsepower. It incorporated some nifty features, but it's unclear as to whether the lathe is really powerful enough to take advantage of all of them. For example, the dropped extension bed allows for turning bigger pieces, but unless the motor is beefy enough to handle the extra weight, it's not going to be all that useful.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Nice looking lathe! If you drill down far enough on the "See Full Details", there's a specification list that shows it has a 1HP motor. At $1300 for the Jet, I'll still settle for my new PSI unit.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Ah, I missed the "Show More" link.

Yeah, at 1 lonely horsepower, I think Jet is missing the boat on this one. Sort of like a mid-sized 4WD SUV with a small 4 cylinder engine.

workingwoods.com

Why would they do a reeves drive? I still have a Craftsman that is worthless (at least won't sell it to anyone). It even swivels its headstock like my Craftsman. I would stay far far away from that lathe.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I'm running a Jet 1442 with the reeves unit... my lathe is about 8 years old.
    I hope they've changed and improved the reeves unit... I ran mine about 4 or 5 years with no problems, but have completely rebuilt the reeves unit 2 or 3 times in the past couple of years... my lathe has been a work horse, but the maintenance is getting a little old.

Yesterday my son and I spent the day tearing it down, replacing the rack that runs along the worm gear and changes the speed only to find that that was only part of the problem.. the motor pulleys were frozen too and had to be pulled off, cleaned and remounted.

The "new" lathe actually looks to be a remake of the 1442, with maybe a few improvements.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    ...The "new" lathe actually looks to be a remake of the 1442, with maybe a few improvements.
    Yeah, other than a new shape for the headstock cover, the only real visible change or improvement I'm seeing is the ability to mount the extension bed in a couple of different ways. In the lower position, I suspect it'll swing about 24", but I'd sure be hesitant to mount most 24" turning blanks on it.

Like you, I hope they improved the Reeves drive system.

workingwoods.com

If they have not fixed or improved the reeves drive, why bother with a new design?

I noticed this.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet_toolrest_clamp.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	86423

It looks like the toolrest is now clamped by squeezing the banjo together, not by a bolt pushing directly against the stem of the tool rest. I know that the various tool rests that I have, the stock Nova units, the Oneway bowl rests, and the homemades ones all have just slightly different diameter stems, so this could be a problem?

More info needed, and yeah, 1 lonely hp, well if it is a made in the USA proper motor that really does make 1hp in use, not right before it blows up, then maybe, but I doubt it is a real 1hp Baldor motor, for example.

Still loving my vintage Nova DVR 3000!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Yeah, other than a new shape for the headstock cover, the only real visible change or improvement I'm seeing is the ability to mount the extension bed in a couple of different ways. In the lower position, I suspect it'll swing about 24", but I'd sure be hesitant to mount most 24" turning blanks on it.

Like you, I hope they improved the Reeves drive system.
    My 1442 runs a 1.5 HP motor (I think - may be a 1 HP, not sure right now) but I've stalled it a couple of times... actually the motor didn't stall so much as it made the belt slip when the piece stopped turning... I've mounted a 13 1/2 blank on it and it turned okay until I got a slight catch (I think the tool was dull)... I do think they needed to put one more speed stop on it at about 200 or 250... mine starts at 450 and I had a piece of pecan on it the other day that was a little out of balance... the lathe shook and danced, the head stock lock kept coming off so that the headstock bounced on the ways... not a good feeling with a 20-30 pound chuck of wood swinging my way.... I still haven't finished that bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    If they have not fixed or improved the reeves drive, why bother with a new design?

I noticed this..... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jet_toolrest_clamp.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	86423

It looks like the toolrest is now clamped by squeezing the banjo together, not by a bolt pushing directly against the stem of the tool rest. I know that the various tool rests that I have, the stock Nova units, the Oneway bowl rests, and the homemades ones all have just slightly different diameter stems, so this could be a problem?

More info needed, and yeah, 1 lonely hp, well if it is a made in the USA proper motor that really does make 1hp in use, not right before it blows up, then maybe, but I doubt it is a real 1hp Baldor motor, for example.

Still loving my vintage Nova DVR 3000!
    I've never had a problem with my tool rest not holding... more problems with the head stock lock coming loose on out of balance pieces...

When I bought my lathe, I actually was looking at the Nova DVR, but allowed Woodcraft to "talk me out of it" and at their suggestion bought the Jet instead... the Nova I was looking at did have the folded or stamped metal legs instead of the cast iron legs on the Jet, but I have since learned you can get cast iron legs for the Nova....
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Chuck, I'm pretty sure your 1442 has a 1.5 hp motor. I've stalled the 2 hp motor (or squealed the belts) on my Powermatic a number of times, especially with a coring rig.

Stu, the new tool rest clamp looks like it would accommodate the slightly different post diameters out there, but I wonder how prone it is to cracking.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Chuck, I'm pretty sure your 1442 has a 1.5 hp motor. I've stalled the 2 hp motor (or squealed the belts) on my Powermatic a number of times, especially with a coring rig.

Stu, the new tool rest clamp looks like it would accommodate the slightly different post diameters out there, but I wonder how prone it is to cracking.
    That was my first thought. As much abuse as the post takes and the possibility of poor casting makes failure a real possibility.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots