Trivia Woodworking Hardware question

Well i thought piano hinge as well :) but our dear home depot dont know that. Correction the US home depot knows that but the Canadian one is dumb when it comes to searching for piano hinge. So i looked it up on the US site and in the US its called continuous hinge. It is probably a good description but more commonly known as piano hinge. So when i punched the name continuous hinge into our Canadian home depot site yup then they showed me the right thing.

I continue to find it fascinating how useless the big corporations websites are when it comes to finding some things you know they have through their online site. I guess it was too simple for the Home Depot Canada to copy and paste the US database then delete what is not sold in Canada and reprice the rest. Still even if they did that who is to say they would think to pick and carry across the search terms file as well. :D

One of the biggest disconnects in business today, is the computer geeks are not business geeks and the business geeks are not computer geeks. And nair the twain shall meet, it appears. Apparently it is not unique to the USA. Was one of the biggest issues when I looking for a website designer.

Another story, another day.

Oh Hey Rob, Ya done opened a can O' worms. No offense to the Ladies present..but I complained to management at a farm type supply store. I suggested they get rid of whatever lady was specking out the plaid shirts and have a man or farm guy do the picking as far as the colors go. The entire department of flannel shirts were of pastel colors with a lot of pink and other weird colors. Couldn't find any greys, greens, browns, etc. I told them I actually wear them in the woods and didn't want to provide entertainment to squirrels and deer and such. I said it was unfair to racoons because they sleep on branches sometimes and they just might fall off they were laughing so hard.

Carol is exactly right, Many businesses hire personnel on criteria that lack really important stuff like actually knowing something about the business. I run into all kinds of major disconnects in merchandize sold in stores. Tried to buy an equipment jack last week. The store had the jacks and the mounting plate, but the "U" bolts didn't fit the hole pattern of the mounting plate. :huh:

A can of worms indeed. Although commonly called a 'piano hinge', the name 'continuous hinge' will often get you directed to the same thing. For that matter, the hinges that allow the top board to be angled open for projection on a grand piano are called 'top board butt hinges' ;-) The continuous hinge is most often used to hold the 'front top board' to the 'rear top board' so neener-neener to the folks at Home Depot :rofl:

Here in Spain they have always been called "piano hinges", as per finding sales people who don't know what you are talking about when asking for a thing using its right name and some pseudonims at a times and having a blank stupid stare for answer is quite common here.

Even explaining the use of the tool and what it is for, sometimes they do not know a single bit of what you want.