Woodworking Questionnaire

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
So I've been doing some exercises lately related to finding what things make one enjoy what they do.

Most were questionnaires that made you think a bit about what you enjoyed about "____" and things you didn't enjoy. The part about what you enjoy usually was there to affirm that you were on the right track, the list about what you didn't enjoy was to get you to put them on paper. The last step was to simply ask you how you can overcome the things you didn't enjoy.

So here is my questionnaire for you. Don't feel obligated to take it or feel like you need to post your answers, it's really just for your own use to perhaps get you to some enlightenment if you're struggling with any of these. If you find at the end that you really hate woodworking, please don't blame me. :D

What drives you to do woodworking?

What things prevent you from working or getting motivated in the wood shop?

Do techniques keep you from enjoying woodworking?

What things do you not enjoy about working in the wood shop?

Reviewing your answers given above about the things that prevent you from working or getting motivated in the wood shop, what steps can you take to overcome some of these?

Reviewing your answers given above about what you don't enjoy, what steps can be taken to overcome some of your obstacles?

Last edited:
So here are mine...

• Keeping Momma happy
  • Necessity, can't buy what I want
  • Illusion that I can build cheaper than buying
  • Enjoy making things with my own hands
  • Teaching others
  • That I can do what so many friends and co-workers can't, sometimes seems like they are dumb or something. :)

• Lack of organization, mostly that I have to move things from my workbench to even work on small projects. My other counter top is stacked with screws, hardware, miscellaneous tools, etc.
  • Abundance of hobbies, feel like a jack of many trades, master of few or none.

• I don't feel that is the issue, but sometimes it the case of you don't know what you don't know (i.e. having sharp tools or well maintained tools)

• Lack of dust collection, allergies typically cause me some downtime after a day or two in the shop
  • Setup time, some tools are not on stands and setup is a hassle (lunch box planer)
  • Not being prepared to start a project.

• Not having detailed plans.
  • Not having materials on hand.
  • Not having hardware needed or knowing what hardware to use.
  • Not allocating enough time to stick with a project until completion.

• Sanding, Allergies and worn tools
  • Finish work, Lack of experience usually results in me ruining my hard work.

Reviewing your answers given above about the things that prevent you from working or getting motivated in the wood shop, what steps can you take to overcome some of these?

• Building some storage cabinets, but more simply getting some shelving and plastic shoe boxes to clear off my bench would help.
  • Either I need to drop some hobbies or re-prioritize my time. I have many nights that I end up in the shop, but the brain either goes blank or gets overwhelmed with the list of things I could do. I wonder if a simple white board with a list of items on it to remind me where I left off or what things I have to get done yet would help. I started maintaining one in Evernote to keep a list of miscellaneous things that need repair around the house. It's helped when I'm at the hardware store, can look to see if I need parts or hardware for any of them to move them along.

Reviewing your answers given above about what you don't enjoy, what steps can be taken to overcome some of your obstacles?

• Have started getting dust collection setup, using it on my table saw mostly, but have bought pipe and fittings to expand the use of it.
  • Want to start building some cabinets for some of my portable tools, perhaps the flipping table type to have multiple tools on the same tool cabinet. My FIL is also giving up woodworking, considering buying some of his larger tools to replace ones that aren't as good of quality and cause extra work to use (snipe and cut quality).
  • Started using Evernote to organize my projects, create check and part lists to be sure I have things on hand. Working on my sketchup skills to catch issues prior to getting part way through a project then finding them.
  • Been reviewing my tools, making notes (in Evernote) about things that need to be addressed. Worn tools that need to have new parts ordered or to be replaced.
  • Need to find a local class for doing finish work or fly out and spend some time working in Dave's shop.

stress management.

lack of free time.

none.

none

other than quitting my job, but i'm sure the wife :blah: would have something to say about that....

find more time somehow....

what drives me to woodworking?

It just happened the day I refused to pay for a set of Adirondack chairs in late 2006.
Since I retired, its an enjoyable hobby.

what things prevent me from working or getting motivated in the wood shop?

Mainly, its health reasons.
Then there are just days when theres no motivation, and I don't know why.

Do techniques keep me from enjoying woodworking?

I don't know until I confront them.

what things do I not enjoy about working in the wood shop?

lack of space, and again, when my body is telling me it isn't happy that day, as in something hurts.

reviewing my answers, and things that prevent me or getting motivated in the shop, what steps I can take to overcome some of these.

Not sure, cant answer this, other than maybe move to a larger home with a larger shop space (isn't happening), and taking more advil.

i have always enjoyed working with wood since i was a kid, but job stress got me back into it again to a higher degree
generally its having other commitments that need to be done or if a project is in the works then the amount of time available to work in given day affects a start up..it doesnt make sence to set up only to have to shutdown right after.
not really, but they do take longer and hold me back till i feel comfortable with it.
the projects that i have agreed to do and the time i estimated to do them is way off, so i am working for free, i usually get threw it fairly quick, another thing is when i drop a piece or make a mistake due to hurrying or not thinking it threw properly. and the worst thing is glueing up lerge projects...by myself
better time management, the last big project i took and set a time frame allowance and put of a job till i had the project done before starting the next one ,, it worked out better..

first off i need to learn how to break down glue ups so they are more manageable, also to better estimate the jobs so i am not under the red while doing them and say no to those that arent going to be profitable. and to not hurry threw a process which leads to mistakes.. one good thing is i have learned how hide mistakes pretty well

Enjoyment of making something, stress management and keeps me out of trouble. If my wife can see I'm stressed or had a bad day she makes sure I get out to the garage that day. (she's a keeper! :)) I'm always in a better mood after. Even if I only had time to clean up a bit.

Hot and humid weather...I'd say time, but I'm still motivated to do something in the shop even if I don't have time.

Only my paitence to learn the techniques...I tend to rush to get things done which leads to failure.

Hot and humid weather in a garage shop. Sanding...and cleaning the shop.

Install insulation, heat and AC. :D

Take deep breathes...slow down and relax. Never be afraid to try a new technique or a challenging project. Someone once said something like, "To be great at something you must fail often, but fail better each time."

Being creative, starting with a design idea and working through to completion of a project. Fortunately, I have a wife who enjoys my ability and has been helpful many times when I hit a brain cramp trying to decide on a design.

Sometimes, I can't motivate myself to stay on task on a large project because I'm thinking of other things I would rather be doing, or should be doing, in the shop - like cleaning. I finally realized some years ago that I must have a form of ADD that is worse some days. I've learned to live with it for the most part.

In a word, no. I'm an admitted power tool junkie, but have done hand-cut dovetails to prove to myself I can do them. The same is true for a few other things, but I'm happy with my tools.

Cleaning and organizing the messes I make! Yeah, I know it wouldn't be as bad if I kept more organized during a project, but...

Take a deep breath and get focused. Many times, that means checking FW to see what's happening. Other times, I'll pull up a design I'm working on. Sometimes, it's a walk around the yard. Whatever it takes to get my brain awake.

I overcome the obstacles by accepting the fact that they are part of my responsibility. My wife likes to help with some of the cleanup, but it's really my thing to do. Although I've been retired for many years, I like to view my shop as "going to work", which I enjoyed. Yes, it's a hobby and I can walk away from it when I need to, but it's fun (most days) as well as creative.

So I've been doing some exercises lately related to finding what things make one enjoy what they do.

Most were questionnaires that made you think a bit about what you enjoyed about "____" and things you didn't enjoy. The part about what you enjoy usually was there to affirm that you were on the right track, the list about what you didn't enjoy was to get you to put them on paper. The last step was to simply ask you how you can overcome the things you didn't enjoy.

So here is my questionnaire for you. Don't feel obligated to take it or feel like you need to post your answers, it's really just for your own use to perhaps get you to some enlightenment if you're struggling with any of these. If you find at the end that you really hate woodworking, please don't blame me. :D

What drives you to do woodworking? Imagination...wondering "Can I do this"?

What things prevent you from working or getting motivated in the wood shop? Other fun stuff, cooking, beer making, being lazy...work :(

Do techniques keep you from enjoying woodworking? Only do spinny stuff...although I did make a pasta drying rack. Moving outside the envelope is at least half the fun!

What things do you not enjoy about working in the wood shop? Blow outs and cleaning

Reviewing your answers given above about the things that prevent you from working or getting motivated in the wood shop, what steps can you take to overcome some of these? Stop working, stop eating and stop making beer :eek:

Hire someone to clean and ....well, can't stop blow outs on some stuff :eek:

I think my father was my biggest inspiration to do wood working. I find myself thinking, how would my father have done this? I also really enjoyed woodworking shop in high school. Now that I am retired and the kids are grown, gone, and on their own I can do as I please and it pleases me to do woodworking.

Sometimes I just get lazy, sometimes my wife feels I need to do other things, sometimes life gets in the way, sometimes I don't know what I want to build or work at, sometimes I don't have the materials and little money (little money for it all the time).

Probably sanding. I really need a drum sander. Gluing and clamping are a challenges for me also. Another one is I don't know a lot about finishing. I pretty much rely on rattle can finishes.

Interruptions. Lack of space. Having to move tools around to use them.

I probably would be more motivated if I specialized more in one or two areas. I like to try many things and don't stick with a few thing long enough to become expert at them. I seem to be working a lot out of my comfort zone a lot. Always trying things I have not done before. This sounds like a good thing and maybe it is but it add anxiety and stress. I would probably get more motivated is I found a few items I really liked to make and could make a little money at it.

That is like teaching old dogs new tricks. It is hard to change what I am. Maybe if I concentrated on getting my house fixed up and sell and move, I could get a larger shop like my wife promises. I always have that hanging over my head and feel guilty when in the shop tinkering instead of doing what I should be. I need to face up to it and get er done. Moving will be very emotional for me. I built this place with my own two hands and hard work and leaving it is going to be very upsetting. I guess I will get over it.

The need to be creative plays a big role. There is great satisfaction of creating something with your own hands and knowing that piece is unique, and your skills set you apart from the crowd. I had access to wood and tools from an early age and spent many hours helping my dad build everything from houses to boats. It's in the blood.

At the moment it's space. I have outgrown my garage and have to move things outside in order to make anything. That lowers my motivation; however, I have a lot of other interests that I enjoy as much or more than woodworking and split my time among those interests according to the way I feel. Most people are not one dimensional and I think a variety of interests is healthy and stimulating.

Not in the least. Exploring techniques and problem solving is part of the fun.

Sometime silly mistakes or design flaws or material failures will ruin or set back a project causing temporary frustration. Then I need a time out, because when a job ceases to be fun it generates stress, and stress kills.

Well to solve the space problem I have started the process to build a detached shop and intend to do as much of the work as I can safely do. When adequate space is available it will be a lot easier to get motivated.

Work more carefully and think a process through before starting it.

I’ve had a lifelong interest in woodworking. Can remember my first hammer, saw, and screwdrivers from about age seven. Got my first plane at around ten (I have about a hundred planes now...) and my first power tools (Skilsaw and Sabresaw) at about fifteen.

I’ve had some sort of ‘shop’ every place my wife and I have ever lived. I build a bit of everything/anything – from furniture to fences, room additions to a barn, and of course the tools get used for a lot of repair& maintenance work, too.

Other interests – or other jobs/tasks that need to be done.

In the Spring, it’s prepping planting beds, planting various vegetables, flowers, etc., doing early season pruning, and of course, pulling weeds. I also spread about 15~20 cubic yards of mulch in the beds and under the trees every year. Spring chores probably take away the most time from anything else.

Summer, it’s a continuation of Spring chores, plus mowing, trimming, etc. Outside house/shop/barn/pond maintenance also takes up a fair amount of time.

Fall is for yard and planting bed cleanup, and raking/blowing/vaccing up the leaves from a dozen big oaks and fifteen or so maples, a couple beech , a hickory, and half a dozen English Plane 9sycamore hybrid) trees.

Winter is snow plowing – mine, and a couple older, disabled neighbors. Winter is when I actually spend the most time in my shop, though. Few chores other than the plowing get in the way then.

No! I love trying new techniques. I’ve built quite a few things just to try out something new. Then, I usually give the resultant item away. I’m often trying something new and different in the shop.

Sanding! I don’t think anybody actually enjoys that, though.
Cleaning up. I’m not terribly organized, and don’t always (seldom do, actually) put things back once I’ve used them, so after nearly every project, there’s a mess to clean up.

Since my shop is pretty much “all purpose” I do a bit of everything in there, from woodworking to metal work, to tractor maintenance, changing/repairing tires, mower maintenance – everything! That means that some of my messes are dirty, oily, messes that would ruin any subsequent woodworking projects, so cleanup is imperative, and often messy in and of itself.

There’s not a lot to be done about it. The other jobs/chores are necessary – unless I can hire somebody to do them, which is economically unfeasible - so I’m pretty much stuck with doing them instead of getting woodshop time.

I need to be more organized, and/or pay more attention to neatness and cleanliness within the shop. Truthfully, at 69 years old, I don’t see that happening anytime soon, so I guess I’ll just keep muddling along.

1)What drives you to do woodworking?

2)What things prevent you from working or getting motivated in the wood shop?

3)Do techniques keep you from enjoying woodworking?

4)What things do you not enjoy about working in the wood shop?

5)Reviewing your answers given above about the things that prevent you from working or getting motivated in the wood shop, what steps can you take to overcome some of these?

6)Reviewing your answers given above about what you don't enjoy, what steps can be taken to overcome some of your obstacles?

1) I started out because my eldest son needed a new bed... that was 15 years ago (or so...) These days I do it, because I enjoy applying the skills I've learned and the creative outlet it gives me.

2) lack of time and usually lack of Heat in the dead of winter.

3) sometimes they slow me down, but I try not to let them Stop me.

4) judging by the number of half completed projects... Finishing anything, not applying finish... Completing things.

5) better time management, and Finishing my solar heat project. ;)

6) I dunno... still working on that.

The need to create and regular mental health treatments.

Lack of a shop seems to be the most recent reason.

No. I love the challenge.

Sorting hardware and keeping it organized.

Bite the bullet and sort the stuff!

Get the house/shop built!

But thanks for asking. It is good to thnk of these things from time to time.

Last edited:

The creative outlet and the enjoyment of making something beautiful (or useful) that I can be proud of.

For the last three years, the fact that my shop was 800 miles away was the main thing that prevented me from working in the shop. By the end of this month, though, my tools and I will both be in the same city. However, I'll still be a few months away from having a functioning shop set up again in the new house. When that happens, though, the woodshop will be competing with my other passions (primarily music) for my spare time. When I first got serious about woodworking, I had pretty much retired from the music scene. But that has changed in the past three years, and I'm spending a lot of my time practicing/learning at home and performing in public. I enjoy performing, and unfortunately woodworking is generally not done in front of an audience, nor do people clap for you every 3 1/2 minutes when you're doing it. ;)

No, not really. There are some I tend to avoid (can you say skew chisel?), but I'm generally willing to try new techniques in order to broaden my skill set.

Cleanup and lack of space.

Get my shop put back together in the new house.

Be judicious in setting up the new shop so as to maximize the space available, and make it a point to keep it neat and clean as I use it.

But thanks for asking. It is good to thnk of these things from time to time.

No problemo. Was off work for something today, so am home earlier than normal. I've already started getting some of the fasteners and hardware into plastic shoe boxes Also have most of the cherry stock cutout for my high chair project and have added a dust collection port onto my RAS. So I guess my little self motivation questionnaire is paying off for me at least. :)

So has this questionnaire helped anyone else focus in on things that help get you going in the shop?

Just as an update to mine. I started installing the dust collection system. I started with the bare minimum to get things started (two gates and 4 ports), so I will have to switch up a hose here and there to use it with all my tools, but as I get a few things re-arranged where they are working for me I'll get others permanently hooked up.

I've also started putting all the fasteners on my workbench into the plastic shoe boxes ($1.20 each at the orange borg), been labeling them with the p-touch label printer, and bought another shelving unit to organize them on. This has worked well for my other items. I have two other shelves, one with hardware and supplies (casters, latches, sandpaper, etc); one with electrical, plumbing, flooring, and painting supplies; and the new one with fasteners. Can grab the box(es) of the things I need and quickly get an inventory of what I don't have on hand or take them with me to the area I'm working at.

Lastly I have a can of chalkboard paint. So will be setting up a board by the door for writing down where things stand and reminders of stuff I need to work on to keep me focused on moving things forward.

The fact that it is something I can do, to make useful and attractive objects, and if I screw up I can start over with a minimal loss of material and cost. And it's often fun. Especially turning.

The fact that with my workshop being in the driveway I have to set up everything before I start and put it all away again when I finish. I don't mind cleaning up, but having to physically move my tablesaw, bandsaw and other tools is a pain. Paradoxically, considering my previous comment, I also suffer a bit from fear of failure.

No.

Monotonous tasks like sanding.

Get a real shop.

Get a real shop.

The fact that it is something I can do, to make useful and attractive objects, and if I screw up I can start over with a minimal loss of material and cost. And it's often fun. Especially turning.

The fact that with my workshop being in the driveway I have to set up everything before I start and put it all away again when I finish. I don't mind cleaning up, but having to physically move my tablesaw, bandsaw and other tools is a pain. Paradoxically, considering my previous comment, I also suffer a bit from fear of failure.

No.

Monotonous tasks like sanding.

Get a real shop.

Get a real shop.

Yeah, sanding isn't really on my list of faves either. I mostly have some cheaper and worn out tools for sanding, which is sometimes more work than just doing the work by hand. My Orbital sander needs a new pad as the Velcro discs seem to fly off way too early. It still works, but have had to take it apart several times over the years to remove dust as it becomes less of an orbital and more of a rotary sander as it gets gunked up. My next go to is a makita vibrating sander. It has the clip on style that holds a quarter sheet, then it has a metal plate with some point on it to punch holes in the paper for dust collection, this works for about 2 minutes, then dust is just getting scooted around on the surface and clogging the paper. I've got a large vibrating sander my dad gave me, which requires stick on paper, so I hardly use it. I also have a belt sander, but only comes out for big stuff that has a lot of take down. Dust collection on all of them lacks, so rather than getting new parts, I'm thinking of just investing in some newer better ones that have standard DC connections and possibly dust shields.

So if a new shop isn't on the horizon, what can you do to make the task more tolerable?

Lastly I have a can of chalkboard paint. So will be setting up a board by the door for writing down where things stand and reminders of stuff I need to work on to keep me focused on moving things forward.

I had used up most of my wall spaces. I had some older dry erase marker boards that were lying around. I took them apart and took the metal face of sheet metal and cut it and mounted it to the inside face of the garage overhead door panels. I can now use the inside face of the door for sketching and making notes, since it is normally a wasted space and can't be used. The thin sheet of metal does not add weight to the door, so it does not impact the operation of the door. And because it is metal, it will also hold magnetic pins/nicknacks.

So has this questionnaire helped anyone else focus in on things that help get you going in the shop? ...

The biggest issue for me is keeping organized while working on whatever I choose to do in my shop. Talking about it on your survey made me realize how much of a problem it can be. One thing I need to do soon is to literally take all of the scrap out of my shop, sort it and toss anything I'll never use. The problem with that, however, is that I'm using smaller and smaller pieces since I'm doing more turning like pens, stoppers and other small items. So, talk about going in circles!!!