It's Friday! 10/10/2014 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Been long week here, I was ready for this day to get here. Tonight I'm planning to watch the Royals and order some pizza, not much else. Tomorrow I plan to continue on the high chairs, starting glue-ups for the seat and table, and start getting some tenons turned for various parts. Sunday will be some of the same, but may start a pear cider.

What's everyone else got going?

Friday: Getting my smoker fired up for a rib run. I'm doing pork spare ribs for dinner tonight - also throwing on some tilapia filets a bit later. Doing a little in my shop along the way, too.

Saturday: Some shop time practicing turning. I'm getting more comfortable with the tools, but still need a lot of practice with the skew.

Sunday: Nuttin' honey!!!!!

Muppet movie marathon at home tonight with the wife and girl. Popcorn and m&m's after pizza. Tomorrow will come early as we are going to the Iowa v. Indiana football game with some friends...departure time is 6am...gotta have time to tailgate! Sunday will be shop time since the Packer game won't be on here. :( I hope to finish up my dust collection system and do some clean up to get ready for a couple projects for the house. Will be borrowing my dad's blower to get all the dust out once system is in place. Hopefully the garage/shop will stay dust free going forward.

WOW - I got the WHOLE week off.

You All can expect a video by the end of the week. Might be a little more boring though.

Granddaughter b-day Saturday.

We will go off for some leaf peeping 1-2 days

The rest of the time is shop time.

I gotta build one more firewood cover -- clean out chimney - clean out woodstove.

Will be working on the kitchen cabinet

MIGHT do some color on the Carosel horses.

Tearing up the rest of the floor, in prep for hardwood install.

Got about 150 ft² of ceramic removed. Would like to meet the guy who installed the underlay using drywall screws, then put thinset over the screw heads. All done on a 6" grid, so 128 screws per sheet that needed to be removed. Also, he used 2" drywall screws that went thru the underlay and the subfloor, extending about an inch into the basement. Removing all that was a two day job!

Next chore is removing about 500 ft² of carpet and pad, then the tack strip.

Putting down ¾" pre-finished white oak. Should make a very solid and substantial - as well as goo looking - floor when we're done.

Playing a gig this evening at a local sports bar & grill. Debuting a new (to me) guitar in which I've also replaced the electronics. (To those who care, it's a PRS SE Custom 22 in transparent teal over curly maple. I just installed a set of Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbuckers and two coil splitter volume pots with no tone pots. It's a pretty axe...I'll post pics once I get some decent ones.)

Saturday I fly back to LA to begin about 8 or 9 days of packing and purging. I need to uninstall my compressor and airline system, build a pallet for the compressor and get the 650 pound compressor mounted on it, take the extension tables and fence rails off the tablesaw, remove the extension table from the bandsaw, partially disassemble my lathe, remove the clamp rack and wrap up all the clamps in stretch wrap, remove the lumber rack and wrap up a few lumber bundles, and who knows what all else. And in order to do any of it, I've got to move a boatload of other stuff out of the shop so I can have better access to the tools.

In the middle of the following week the Allied Van Lines truck will be showing up to haul it all to NM. As soon as the moving van is loaded, I'll be driving my pickup back to ABQ. It's a little long in the tooth with 240K miles on it, so I'm hoping it's up for an 800 mile trip across the Mojave desert and all of Arizona. ;) Part of this next week will be spent getting the pickup serviced and prepped for the trip.

And in the midst of all this, I've got to keep up with things at the office via a remote connection. Gonna be a busy next couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Playing a gig this evening at a local sports bar & grill. Debuting a new (to me) guitar in which I've also replaced the electronics. (To those who care, it's a PRS SE Custom 22 in transparent teal over curly maple. I just installed a set of Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbuckers and two coil splitter volume pots with no tone pots. It's a pretty axe...I'll post pics once I get some decent ones.)

Saturday I fly back to LA to begin about 8 or 9 days of packing and purging. I need to uninstall my compressor and airline system, build a pallet for the compressor and get the 650 pound compressor mounted on it, take the extension tables and fence rails off the tablesaw, remove the extension table from the bandsaw, partially disassemble my lathe, remove the clamp rack and wrap up all the clamps in stretch wrap, remove the lumber rack and wrap up a few lumber bundles, and who knows what all else. And in order to do any of it, I've got to move a boatload of other stuff out of the shop so I can have better access to the tools.

In the middle of the following week the Allied Van Lines truck will be showing up to haul it all to NM. As soon as the moving van is loaded, I'll be driving my pickup back to ABQ. It's a little long in the tooth with 240K miles on it, so I'm hoping it's up for an 800 mile trip across the Mojave desert and all of Arizona. ;) Part of this next week will be spent getting the pickup serviced and prepped for the trip.

And in the midst of all this, I've got to keep up with things at the office via a remote connection. Gonna be a busy next couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

You might want to take a quick nap....right now! :D

Dreary weekend weather coming, but I actually started a woodworking project. One of the big cherry slabs I've been tripping over is going to be a nice bench. Spent part of yesterday trying to get rid of the mill marks and flatten it out. It developed a big hump in the middle from drying. I started with a no. 6 that I got from my dad and struggled with it. After that, I cheated? and got out my Dewalt electric planer, which made short work of flattening but left some marks. I don't see why these electric planes have such a bad rep. Back to the no.6, then a Lee Valley bevel up, then a No. 4 that I bought when first married 49 years ago, then to a Lee-Nielsen low angle bench plane around some knots. None of them would pull a nice shaving. I concluded the weekend would be better spent sharpening planes:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just returned from Albuquerque balloon fiesta and meeting with Vaughn. Hopefully I can get a little shop wok down,or maybe just
relax after 12hr drive. Hope loml doesn't have any honey does for me.
David
Also checking on photo presentation which was posted earlier.

I'll be in the shop this weekend working on the new work bench for where I work. It's a beauty as it will have a cherry top wrapped with 2" x 5" mesquite. The base will be made from old southern yellow pine and will have a leg vise and a twin screw end vise.

As soon as the moving van is loaded, I'll be driving my pickup back to ABQ. It's a little long in the tooth with 240K miles on it, so I'm hoping it's up for an 800 mile trip across the Mojave desert and all of Arizona.

Oh that would be a perfect opportunity to explore some of the deserted secondary roads and nearly non-existent stretches of the old Route 66 through some of the atomic test grounds! (I need to watch 'The Hills Have Eyes' again)