Good Thoughts Needed- Round three just started

Ned Bulken

I got a call from my father this afternoon, the rescue squad was just in the process of taking my mother to the hospital after a fall. She has a broken left radius (arm) and a compression fracture of the lower back. She's "resting comfortably" in the hospital overnight if not for a couple of days. For the moment, I'm not packing my bags and making the 8 hour bee-line for Virginia. She's in good hands and there's nothing I can do to help. All thoughts and prayers for both of them gratefully accepted.

This is the second fall in the past 6 months for her, early summer she slipped on the back porch and fell on her back. She only 'just' recovered from that... and now this happens.

Last edited:
Done, Ned. So be it. I can empathize with the lower back issues. I pray she heals quickly, that you and your Dad have peace that all will be well and the she is in the best of hands.

Best wishes to your mom for a speedy and pain free recovery, Ned. I don't know where she is located in Virginia, but if your folks are in the Hampton Roads area and I can do anything to help, just let me know.

Just spoke with my Dad. My mother is awake, alert though still doped up. She's black and blue 'head to toe', though so far it seems just the arm and the lower back are the major injuries. Monday being a holiday, they expect she'll be in the hospital until at Least tuesday. He's already talking with the hospital about arranging an aide for them for awhile, which greatly eases my mind.

Best wishes.

Damned Gravity!

If she has a bathtub, you might want to convert it over to a nice walkin shower, with a built in seat, and a hand shower wand.

If you do, make sure the floor tiles are commerical anti-slip type vs just regular stone, and put in a ADA grab bar or two.

Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just lower the height to get over from tub height to floor height, and make it anti-slip.

(Bath slips seem to kill a lot of older ladies--and they don't have too!)

Tiles like this work nicely underfoot.
aa.jpg

Last edited:
With two falls like that, be sure they check thoroughly for stroke. I say that because it is the way Myrna was doing before she had a stroke. The doctors had checked her and Rx'ed scans, but no one, including me, picked up on the stroke routine.

They have, and you have, all of the best wishes possible.

Enjoy,
JimB