drive belt for a wood lathe

Craftsman has discontinued the drive belt for my wood lathe model #351.217150, can't find it, any thoughts as where I might find one.

Look at the belt closely, most brands just have a standard belt made by one of the suppliers. I found a number on mine, googled it, and found replacements available from several sources. Alternatively, if you have the Craftsman part number, search it as well, you may find a conversion part listed.

take the belt to an industrial suppliers that sells bearings, belts and chains. every town of any size has them. If I know what town you were in I would Google it for you. they can take the old belt and match it up with a new one. It will only cost you a few bucks that way. Put you town in your profile and maybe some family wood worker member near you will chime in.

p.s. welcome to the forum stick around this is a friendly place.

beltsforanything.com

Not only that, Phyllis there is very, very knowledgeable. You have the model number, probably a slam dunk for her. Prices are very fair.

Welcome to the Family, John! :wave: Hope you enjoy hanging out with us.

Nothing I can add to the advice you've been given so far. Plenty more of that around here, too!

beltsforanything.com

Not only that, Phyllis there is very, very knowledgeable. You have the model number, probably a slam dunk for her. Prices are very fair.

Second Carol's post.... Beltsforanything.com is my go to for belts.... you'll have to call, unless they've updated, you can't order off the web site...But Phyllis will take care of you.

Lee Valley and some other places sell a link belt that is said to be better and more durable than V-belts. It is also reasonably priced and can be made to any size.

I use and like the link belts, but this particular lathe uses a wide ribbed belt, so the link belts won't work on it.

I believe I would try to follow Fred and Don, and Carol's advice. Because of what Vaughn wrote, it is a more specific belt, but as Don said, those industrial bearing and belt places have or can get you what you need. Then there is always www.Grainger.com armed with the info you have.

Also, www.toolpartsdirect.com or call 888-358-0332

Here's to successful hunting.

Aloha. and welcome to the forum.

Lee Valley and some other places sell a link belt that is said to be better and more durable than V-belts. It is also reasonably priced and can be made to any size.

I will definitely second that and I am positive that Glenn would third that. I like the link belts so much I should be a salesman for them. Harbor Freight carries the belts. So do most of the companies like Rockler and Woodcraft.

Enjoy,
JimB

OK so I was wrong. I just read Vaughn's post. My lathe has a flat ribbed belt and that is the reason it does not have a linked belt.

JimB

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the term "fractional horsepower". :huh: Can you elaborate?

The belts are designed to transfer power.... but how much power depends on the shape and surface area of the belt and the matching pulleys. On my jointer-planer the factory belts are 3L500 where the 500 part is 50.0 inches long. The 3L part is the angle and width of the belt. The 3L series can transfer power depending on the diameter of the pulleys etc., but the transfer varies between 1/2 and 1 hp, or something like that... referred to as a fractional hp belt. I have two belts but two times something less than 1 hp does not properly transfer the power of my 4.8 hp jointer-planer motor.

I did some research and found that a 3VX500 belt was the same basic dimension but was a notched belt that rode better in the pulleys, and was rated to transfer several HP. I replaced the 3L500 belts ($7.41 each) with 3VX500 belts ($17.59 each). The first belts lasted about a year. The heavier belts are still going strong 8 years later.

While I was doing all the research on belts, I found an article that the link belts were designed for repairmen (the kind that have to go on a roof to get an office cooling system working NOW) so that they could have a generic belt of whatever length required in their tool bag, to keep the AC system working until they could get the right belt, but the link belts were "fractional hp" belts that could be overloaded temporarily until the right belt was installed. Whether that is true or not, I haven't done the research, and I don't repair roof-top AC systems. I know a lot of people like them because they transfer less vibration, but that could be related to transferring less power as well.

Does my long answer make sense?

Don, I'm impressed with your writing skills. From the look of your profile picture, you couldn't be more than 4. Hahahaha

take the belt to an industrial suppliers that sells bearings, belts and chains. every town of any size has them. If I know what town you were in I would Google it for you. they can take the old belt and match it up with a new one. It will only cost you a few bucks that way. Put you town in your profile and maybe some family wood worker member near you will chime in.

p.s. welcome to the forum stick around this is a friendly place.

thank you, I'm in UT right now when I get back to Tucson this winter I know of a place there that sells bearings, and belts. I didn't think of a place like that. John