Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorry Larry but...

Plainwell, Michigan

Sorry Larry but...

this is advertised on Rocklers website and I am asking you turners if this is a good starter lathe, yes tools are pen_bottle stopper tools, which I like, it can turn up to a 10" bowl, which is fine....for now, 17 3/4" spindles, 5 speed not verible speed (sp) but seems all the basic at a great price, is this worth it and is it a good lathe? I have been looking for one for a while now and seems to be a good one at a affordable price to get into turning, PLEASE FEED BACK as TLOMF has gave me permission to get it and need advise before purchase, don't want to buy badly slippery slope, here I come

new york city burbs
    that's hitting real close to home for larry.
    at least when he visits you he can hone his pen turning skills.
    Human Test Dummy

GTA Ontario Canada
    Tom my friend i think that the issue with this lathe is the lowest speed it can run at with the pulley belt config.
    My view would be to save your coin and try get to the level of one of the Penn State variable speed units.
    Bill purchased one recently and to me with the benefit of hindsight from having jumped at a lathe with a cheap price, i would sooner go a few more months and save the extra coin to get a machine that would allow you to start turning at 150 rpm if needed.
    I look at this now like a mattress. The extra coin of $220 over the use of this machine and the experience you have using it amortised over that time will be well worth it and if u decide the vortex aint for u then selling the variable speed will be way easier and get you a better second hand value return in my view.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Escondido, CA
    What Rob said. Slow speeds, variable speeds, and reverse speed are the criteria to aspire to. The first two for sure.

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

falcon heights, minnesota
    That one looks like the jet mini lathe that I started out with. I have its big brother, but I use the little guy from to time. Good to practice on until you can get a bigger one.
    benedictione omnes bene

Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel

Sorry Larry but...

I have an old basic delta midi, and the Two things that I most want in my eventual upgrade lathe are variable speed and a tad more swing. 12-16" would be really nice. If I could only get a 10" swing, but still get VS, I'd jump on that before a larger swing, but still have to change a belt etc...

Portland, Oregon
    The one at Rockler is priced at $279, I got the Harbor Freight version at $199. with a 20% off coupon.

The only difference I can see from the pictures is the color.

Now I am NOT a turner, I use my lathe rarely but the HF one has done everything I've needed at a price I can live with.

If you are going to do some serious turning I'd probably get something bigger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lathe.01.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	86577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lathe.02.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	86578
    Last edited by Dan Mooney; 10-16-2014 at 06:43 AM.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

The spinning virus is claiming another victim, this time very close to Larry! Larry beware! You may be the next one to fall in the vortex!

Jokes apart, congrats for this twist Tom, I look forward to see your bowls, pens or whateveryou turn.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Tom, I've had the same lathe for about 4 years. It runs great, works great, is well built, and has plenty of power. It works fine for pens, bottle stoppers, pepper mills, and stuff like that.
    It may not have all the bells and whistles as the more expensive but for a basic tool you can't go wrong.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Tokyo Japan
    If small stuff is all you want to do, then that is quite a good price, but be warned, if you get into it more, you will want more of a lathe.

Heck I have lathe chucks that cost more than that set up
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward