Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downdraft table

Downdraft table

I've thought of building one of these for quite awhile now...read how some say they work and some say they don't work. A post by someone I follow on Instagram, @fixthisbuildthat, built one over the weekend and that gave me the push I needed to try it. I built it out of scrap MDF, pegboard and ply I had laying around so if it doesn't work I'm only out my time.

I'm not going to try it out until I get my .5 micron filter for my dust collector which should be here Friday. It's 42" x 22" simply because that was as big as I could go with the scrap I had. From google research, I think some of the pegboard holes need to be made bigger, but will wait until a trial run to see. I have about a dozen cutting boards that need to be shaped and sanded so it will get a good workout this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141015_191357.jpg   20141015_192955.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Oh nice, I actually just set aside a piece of peg board for this same project last night. Looks good. I'd be interested to know if you enlarge the holes or not and how that works out.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Looks good, Jeff.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

alan bienlien made one here awhile back and loves it he used a furnace fan for the suction i think.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thanks guys! Larry, I just went back and had a look at Alan's table...that thing looks awesome!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Wouldn't the field area & amount/size of the holes depend on the CFM & diameter of the ducting/hose?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Wouldn't the field area & amount/size of the holes depend on the CFM & diameter of the ducting/hose?
    I think you're right Bart, if it was all 1/4" holes, it would take at least 256+ holes to equal the area of the 4" diameter hose. If they are space about 1" apart, then it would take a little over 2 square feet minimum. Now if you're working on a large flat item, it may be covering many of them holes, so something to consider I guess. I suspect the larger holes are to help with efficiency in sweeping some of the dust to the hose though.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I think you're right Bart, if it was all 1/4" holes, it would take at least 256+ holes to equal the area of the 4" diameter hose. If they are space about 1" apart, then it would take a little over 2 square feet minimum. Now if you're working on a large flat item, it may be covering many of them holes, so something to consider I guess. I suspect the larger holes are to help with efficiency in sweeping some of the dust to the hose though.
    I honestly don't think I'll ever get that technical when it comes to woodworking...but something to think about for sure. If this along with a squiral cage air cleaner will reduce the amount of dust that settles on everything in the garage I'll be happy. Having a 5 micron filter on the DC was causing a lot of this...so hopefully getitng the .5micron filter will help too.
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    ...Having a 5 micron filter on the DC was causing a lot of this...so hopefully getitng the .5micron filter will help too.
    Bingo!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I built a unit like that a number of years ago and hooked it to my big shop vac. It worked fine, but when I got better ROS sanders and hooked them to a good vacuum, I quit using the downdraft table. There are times I'd like to set up another one, though.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station