Long Distance Commission

Mike Mathieu

Hi Everyone
Many of you will remember a project I posted a while back. This was a keepsake box made with an Intarsia of the different Confederate flags on the lid.
IMG_7045.jpg

What I failed to mention was the client that ordered this box lives in Switzerland.
He received the box, loved it and immediately started sending me photos and ideas for the next project. He sent several photos of different bookshelves and the plan was to incorporate a custom intarsia on the sides of the bookshelf.
After some discussion we concluded that the unit would have to be able to break down for shipping purposes and he would have to do the final assembly.
So here is the photo of the bookshelf that he wants to recreate-- Old English style( early 1900's)
Stephens bookshelf (2).jpg

And this is the Photo of the subject for the Intarsia. This will be done as a mirror image on each side of the uprights.
Stephens horse (2).jpg

We chose cherry for the wood and gave it the dimensions of 40" tall x 40" wide x 10" deep. he wanted to add some accent striping on the sides using a nice contrasting wood.
After re-drawing the original photo to include the areas for the Intarsia, This is what the bookshelf will look like.
IMG_7068 (2).jpg

To be continued

Making good progress on this project.
All of the cherry components have been cut and dry assembled. Still have to do the edge routing, final sanding and finishing on the cherry.
I used a template and pattern bit to do the routing for the Intarsia recesses. Because I have to make it easy for the client to re-assemble the shelf, I installed alignment dowels in the ends of the shelf pieces and bottom feet. I'm using square drive screws to hold it all together. Got the pattern drawn for the Intarsia
IMG_7071.jpg IMG_7072.jpg IMG_7074.jpg IMG_7077.jpg IMG_7078.jpg

Stay tuned-more to come

To Paul
I actually started the WW last Friday but I am moving right along with it. The Intarsia will be a little slower to get done. Not something I like to hurry through.

well mike, its refreshing to see the clutter and the dust and chips on your floor:) yet out the door comes wonderful artistic work.. you can smell the saw dust:)

well mike, its refreshing to see the clutter and the dust and chips on your floor:) yet out the door comes wonderful artistic work.. you can smell the saw dust:)

Yeah, the clutter and dust looks a lot like my shop, but what comes out of my shop isn't nearly as nice as what comes out of Mike's!

Hi Larry--Yeah, well, guess I won't get any awards for having the cleanest shop but since I fired the maid a couple of years ago I only clean up when I can't find something.
I know where everything is-- it's in the shop- now where did I put that @&*%!$ hammer:eek:

Well I had to go back and look at the pictures again. Didn't notice the mess before. Now I see why I'm not an artist woodworker, I try to keep my shop reasonably clean! It is so small I have to.

Your intarsia seems to be a great way to make a lot of people happy. You get to make a decent income and they get to have beautiful reminders of favorite people and/or events.

I enjoy your threads, however I am not starting intarsia---if I did they would put me in jailia for impersonating an artist.

Enjoy,
JimB

Good job Mike, what I do not understand why your customer is asking you to do the whole thing, shipping will cost him quite a lot or so I think, if I were him I would have comissioned you the intarsia and had the rest done in Switzerland, I lived there for three years and there are very good profesional cabinet makers.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm happy that you got the whole project but unless he has some way of getting the piece at a bargain price the shipping costs will be quite an extra charge.

To Tony
I guess the short answer would be- he likes my work .We did discuss the shipping costs but that did not seem to be the biggest concern. He liked the fact that I would go to the extra effort by making the project so he could do the final assembly thus keeping the shipping costs down.

Some Progress on the Intarsia
Did not make much progress on the Intarsia this week as I had to to go to Maine to attend my Brother-in laws funeral. Got back Thursday and did get some cutting done.Because I am actually doing the Intarsia as a mirror image I'm cutting and fitting 2 of everything as I go. So far I have cut 35 pieces(x 2) Starting to take shape. Should make good progress this weekend.
IMG_7090.jpg

More Progress
Got all of the background pieces in place.Up to 65 pieces so far.
Woods used- Blue pine, Poplar,Pear, Fishtail oak, Fungas Stained Holly, Lignum Vitae,Zericote.
Starting to get the depth I'm looking for.
IMG_7095.jpg

Getting There
Today I worked on the little horse.Added 26 pieces from Peruvian Walnut, Mahogany, Pink Ivory, Holly , Pear and Ebony.
Total piece count is now at 91 with around 30 more for the house.
To be continued
IMG_7100.jpg IMG_7101.jpg

Mike this is fantastic to see it come to life.
I am not at all suprised that you have a commission from so far away. Not one bit.
Look at that bridge, river oh and on and on. Very very cool. Beats any digital image :) your work has 3 dimensions and can engage the sense of touch.
I would be very interested to know if a blind person could feel and derive the image from your work i think the surface texture adds a unique dimension to the image. Thanks for showing us the build detail.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One Down
Today I got the house done. Added 44 pieces from bloodwood, bubinga, holly, fungus stained holly and ebony. Before I glue everything in there are a few pieces that I need to replace (too much gap) and some more shaping and texturing on a few pieces.
Total piece count-135 from 13 woods.
IMG_7102.jpg IMG_7103.jpg

Man Mike i understand why you get commissioned from far off places. Your work is truly amazing. Showed my wife and she said thats a famous picture she loved your work. Your client will love this piece and i can see the rest of his Swiss village contacting you for more work.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk