Scrap End Grain Coasters - Done

glenn bradley

I usually save this one for myself but, Christmas is impending and if I can help out a family member, so be it. Just forward 1-cent per coaster royalty to me as my Christmas gift :rofl:

When I am milling stock and then cutting parts, I often end up with partially milled scrap. You know, good on a couple of perpendicular sides but, not so good on the others. I know, this only happens to me. Take two such pieces and glue them together, clamp them and set them in the corner. Later on you will find yourself with another couple of such pieces. Glue them to the ones waiting patiently in the corner for company.

Later on you just may find yourself with another couple of pieces. Yep, that's right, glue them and clamp them to the growing laminated blank and set them in the corner. If things start to get too ugly, joint one surface and then joint another surface perpendicular to that. Now you can glue the next victims to those faces, etc. etc. etc. The secret here is to be really random.

As Christmas gets closer you may find something like this in the corner.

scrap-coasters (1).jpg . scrap-coasters (2).jpg

Joint and plane it to about a 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" blank. Saw off one end and sand flush and true to the other sides. Sorry, this is a simulated progress pic. The actual progress pic got lost somewhere back in time.

scrap-coasters (3).jpg

Now go over to the bandsaw and slice it up like a loaf of bread. I go with 1/2" slices.

scrap-coasters (4).jpg

Give them a dip in BLO and set them out to dry. I don't remember what came in the plastic package but, it was the perfect size ;). Return occasionally to wipe away any BLO that is still weeping from the end grain.

scrap-coasters (5).jpg . scrap-coasters (6).jpg

And you end up with several sets of these. I ended up with 6 sets of 4 and a spare to take to work.

scrap-coasters (7).jpg

Wrap 'em up purdy and give them to your loved ones.

scrap-coasters (8).jpg . scrap-coasters (9).jpg

No kidding, people dig these :thumb:

Last edited:
Yeah, Glenn showed me one of those coasters, it looked great so I headed for the leftovers wood pile. Here is the begining of the process. "You can never have enough clamps" is the expression that seems to work here.

Anyway here is a couple thousand words worth of pics.

Enjoy,
JimB

Thanks, Glenn. Consider this great idea 'borrowed', stacked, and clamped over in a corner with the other great ideas you have shared with us. And I apologize in advance, someday in the distant future I will probably make some of these and let my wife think it was my idea, but we all know different.:thumb::D

Looks like you cold build quite a few items from this idea. I love the thought of using those perfectly
good scraps. Need to be conservative with our wood supply.
David

hmmm, something for the next season's work list, round and square..... :thumb: (with your ok, of course glenn)

Absolutely OK Dan. As a matter of fact, I was thinking you might like these when I posted this.

All I need is more glue!! Looks like I just might be able to clear out the scrap bin! Thanks Glenn! :thumb:

If there is a downside to these it is the consumption of glue and the tying up of clamps if your short on them. I use TB-III because these will end up with moisture on them. If you make cutting boards or fixtures for the bath/vanity area you probably have some on hand. In my environment I only need to leave the clamps on for 40 minutes or so for things to "set" so, even if I really need the particular clamps that are in use, I don't have to wait long.

Last edited:
For those of you who may have been on the fence about cranking out some of these for friends and family . . . here's a shot of how they will be delivered.

scrap coaster in holder (3).jpg

Except wrapped, of course :rolleyes:.

For those of you who may have been on the fence about cranking out some of these for friends and family . . . here's a shot of how they will be delivered.

View attachment 86817

Except wrapped, of course :rolleyes:.

I started my own set today...

I know I'm late to the party, but yesterday I saw a fellow selling these at a craft show for $40 for a set of four. Without Glenn's fancy box.
I just had to see how "hard" it was to make some of these!

thanks, Glenn. The randomness is a trick. Of course, I'm trying to do it all at once, rather than a bit at at time!

Well, these got nominated for "stocking stuffers" this year. I work on stocking stuffers between other tasks so these in various stages of completion everywhere I turn.

scrap-coasters (11).jpg . scrap-coasters (10).jpg . scrap-coasters (12).jpg

Remember that Star Trek episode with the Tribbles?

Last edited: