More canoe progress...

Roger Tulk

Today I finished applying the gunwales and inwales. I've been held up a bit by the weather and the fact that I had a nasty bout of stomach flu earlier this week when the weather was ideal. However, it's working. I have to add more screws along the gunwales, and make two (or possibly three) thwarts. The thwarts will pull the sides together and fix that angle you see along the right, er, starboard side. I've scoped out cane seats on Amazon. Getting it all done before the snow flies will be a little dicey considering the way the weather is turning, but if I don't finish now, I'll at least have very little left to do in the spring.

Gunwales in.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together.

So I've ordered cane seats from Ebay, as Amazon doesn't accetp Paypal, but the seats are a little more generous in their area than the Amazon seats. I had to ship them to my daughter in Chicago, as they wanted an arm, a leg, and my firstborn child to ship them to Canada. Whoever drives down to see Jenn next can bring them back, or Jenn can if she drives. Seriously, the cost of shipping within the US is 25% of the cost of shipping to Canada. I'd probably have to pay duty on them, too, although things that come in by post or in the back of your car are often allowed in without duty. Couriers have their own brokers, and they insist on their pound of flesh.:rolleyes: