Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is NOT woodworking

This is NOT woodworking

But to those of us that think this stuff is cool - enjoy

Very cool. An amazing machine. Apparently done without any kind of lubrication and no shavings to be seen. Looks like they were vacuumed as fast as they were made.

Cool stuff. My brother sells very large machine tools and he is always sending me videos like this. It's amazing what they can do.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Ted - that was not aluminum they were cutting either.

I am sure the part was just a demo part - showing the capabilities of the machine. They do a lot of that - I have a few of those demo parts in my collection. One demo that I have is a 0 - 1/2 micrometer that was made on a swiss turn machine.

What a tremendous show of technology. Enjoyed watching what ever it was being milled
    David

Wow, that was pretty cool to watch. No coolant being used in the process? Thanks for sharing.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    reminds me of my first job when I got out of the Navy and was going to school (early 70's ). I worked for a large production valve company (circle seal Corp) they hired me to do the maintenance on their machining centers. No CNC, they used cams and cam followers as well as a lot of relay logic. Very high maintenance. They hired me because I could read schematics and trouble shoot the electronics.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Very cool. An amazing machine. Apparently done without any kind of lubrication and no shavings to be seen. Looks like they were vacuumed as fast as they were made.
    I was wondering about the coolant or lube as well, I read on their site that for the demo the slow everything down so they can do the demo, when actually making a production part the speeds wick up and the coolant is used in abundance
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

The machine vendors make those demo parts for advertisement only. They will do one like that and video it. When they demo at machine tool shows they either just let the machines rum on a finished part or they use coolant.

It is quite impressive to HEAR those machines running full speed and slamming steel chips against the insides of the machine.

Steel can be cut dry. The Carbide tooling is just as hard even when it very hot.