This is NOT woodworking

Very cool. An amazing machine. Apparently done without any kind of lubrication and no shavings to be seen. Looks like they were vacuumed as fast as they were made.

Ted - that was not aluminum they were cutting either.

I am sure the part was just a demo part - showing the capabilities of the machine. They do a lot of that - I have a few of those demo parts in my collection. One demo that I have is a 0 - 1/2 micrometer that was made on a swiss turn machine.

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

reminds me of my first job when I got out of the Navy and was going to school (early 70's ). I worked for a large production valve company (circle seal Corp) they hired me to do the maintenance on their machining centers. No CNC, they used cams and cam followers as well as a lot of relay logic. Very high maintenance. They hired me because I could read schematics and trouble shoot the electronics.

Very cool. An amazing machine. Apparently done without any kind of lubrication and no shavings to be seen. Looks like they were vacuumed as fast as they were made.

I was wondering about the coolant or lube as well, I read on their site that for the demo the slow everything down so they can do the demo, when actually making a production part the speeds wick up and the coolant is used in abundance :D

The machine vendors make those demo parts for advertisement only. They will do one like that and video it. When they demo at machine tool shows they either just let the machines rum on a finished part or they use coolant.

It is quite impressive to HEAR those machines running full speed and slamming steel chips against the insides of the machine.

Steel can be cut dry. The Carbide tooling is just as hard even when it very hot.

The machine vendors make those demo parts for advertisement only. They will do one like that and video it. When they demo at machine tool shows they either just let the machines rum on a finished part or they use coolant.

It is quite impressive to HEAR those machines running full speed and slamming steel chips against the insides of the machine.

Steel can be cut dry. The Carbide tooling is just as hard even when it very hot.

Despite that and being a demo piece I think that for the sake of the filming they used aluminium, so that no coolant was needed, or so I think.