Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 6 or 6 Plus...?

iPhone 6 or 6 Plus...?

As I mentioned in the Friday post we are going to check out the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, don't know if I'll get one but our carrier here is offering it at a really sick low price, FREE if you sign the 2 year contract! My iPhone 5 has only 8 months left on the contract. Our monthly bill for would go from about $150 a month (unlimited data and we talk for free to six other phones, and for a reduced price to anyone with the same carrier) and that is for my iPhone 5 and the wife's iPhone 5s, if we both switched over our bill would be maybe $165 a month, so we are thinking about it.

Has anyone taken the plunge?

I would get a good case for the phone, I have the Element Sector 5 case on my iPhone 5 now and some of the extra strong glass screen protector, both were a great investment, the phone is still in great shape, the case and that glass have taken a beating, but the phone is mint.

They will have cases for the iPhone 6 out in October, hey that is now!

The cases for the iPhone 6+ are in the pipeline.

So if I get the a new iPhone my choice would be between the iPhone 6 or the 6+

I hope to go and fondle, err.... handle one tomorrow, and see if the much larger 6+ is too large.

To be honest the telephone function on my smart phone is just a part of the phone, I don't even use it much anymore, really, got to have it, but the functionality of the other parts of the device are really important to me, the Google Maps function has saved my bacon for getting somewhere MANY times, driving, walking or on the trains here, and the various apps make it really part of my daily life, I have a board foot calculator on the thing for crying out loud!

I use my wife's iPad mini in the house a LOT and I like it, for reading a book or listening to a podcast/music to surfing the web to find something, so I'm wondering if the larger 6+ is the way to go.

Any input would be great!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

My neighbor/former boss Perry was showing me his new 6+ the other day. Perry is one of those guys who HAS to have the latest and greatest Apple product. (It absolutely killed him when I got the iPhone 5 when he was still carrying the 4s, lol.) Although it does seem large in comparison, he says he's found it easy to pocket because it's so thin. Of course the thinness is also a factor of the case it's in. His is in a slim leather case sold by apple. My 5 is nice and slim, but I've got it in an Otterbox case that add a lot to the bulk. (Worth it IMO.) I seldom pocket mine...it's usually on a belt clip.

The display on the 6+ was sweet, and Perry said the download speed for things like movies seems improved compared to his 5s. Like you, my "phone" is really a pocket computer that happens to make phone calls. If I was shopping for a new phone, I'd be looking hard at the 6+.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I have the same questions, and have not yet fondled the units. The 6+ looks a little large to "always" be in my pocket as is my current iPhone. But, as I understand it, the 6+ thrives in landscape mode, both for the system (screens full of icons) and for apps. Therefore reading can have longer lines, presumably more like a book. I have gotten so used to reading (even books) on the iPhone that I am not sure I need the longer line.

Thus I haven't provided experience, but perhaps a new twist on the questions to ask.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	86639
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I fondled the 6+ at the local Verizon store last week and wanted to take a look at the 6, but there was a little kid playing a game on it and I didn't want to be a bully and kick him off. They only had one 6+ in stock and no 6's. The 6+ (sans case) fit in my shirt pocket and front pants pocket OK. I think the size will work for me. It is thin, very thin and it looked like the demo model actually had a slight bend in it....like someone was testing it. I'm not worried about it though. It felt plenty strong to me. Someone mentioned that the 6+ would cause a surge in cargo pants buying, and I'm thinking it might

I'm walking around 6 months out from upgrade point and Jonesing BIG time for the 6+. The only thing stopping me is how much will it cost to get a 64G model. Both my older boys have recently gone the Samsung Phablet route, so I've done the pocket test with their units (roughly the same size, if not a tad larger than the 6+). I'm looking at the 6+ as a portable web connection device that makes phone calls. And, now that you've nudged me, I think I'm going to swing by the phone store on the way in to work, and fondle a 6+ a bit.
    -Ned

I've got to ask what's the big deal about this phone? I have a 2 plus year old android that I'm just as happy with now as the day I got it.

I'm a bit on Alan's side. My S4 still does flips around the apple anything. Apps are a personal choice, could be a deciding factor
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

A coworker printed out a life sized print of them the other day to compare with his 4s. You could go a step further and cut out a blocks of wood the same size to carry and hold to see if they would fit your every day attire...

https://simplyfixit.co.uk/?attachment_id=6115
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

------------> Rationalization Alert!! <------------

Well for me personally I don't really need an iPhone 6+ the 5 I have now works really well, but the thing is, here in Japan, when the new ones come out the carriers really make it worth your while to upgrade, as they make money on keeping you in their system. To add to that incentive, for example, if I change from my iPhone 5 now to a 6+ 128gb phone, it is free, my monthly rate over all goes up about $5 ($2.50 for the phone and a rate increase of about $2.50), maybe less because they have introduced a new plan to make calling any other smart phone on their network free, all the time, and with unlimited data for the price, it is a good deal. Now to get the free new handset, I have to give up my old iPhone 5, or I can pay it off, I think I have 8 months left on my iPhone 5 so I might just pay it off, and keep it as a backup or to send to my kids in Canada, one of them is still using an iPhone 3GS, and we are getting into battery problems with it.

I know your systems in the US and Canada are not the same as here in Japan, but here if you wait and want to change your phone you pay more, for example anyone with a iPhone 4 or 3 they have to pay an additional $11 a month to upgrade, plus the $2.50 or so in rate increase, so$13.50 a month, for me upgrading to the 6+, from the 5 it is free for the 16gb and only $2.50 a month for the 128gb and about $2.50 for the rate increase, so lets say $5 a month, over the two years that is $120 compared to $324 for someone upgrading from an older phone. They really do try to get you go upgrade here. My iPhone 5 is working fine, but I know the battery will start to become an issue at some point, yes I can change it myself, and I've done so in the past on other iPhones, but that takes time and costs money too.

I'll see what it feels like in the hand and if there is any small print I've missed
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward