Plant stand build

Tom Baugues

I'll try to document my progress as I build this plant stand. This stand will be about 36" tall and have a 12" x 12" top.
I want to give thanks to Dave Richards for drawing this up in Sketchup for me and providing a detailed drawing for me to work with.

Well I had seen a photo of a plant stand like I wanted to build and that is the basis for this design.
Here is what I hope to build.
4.jpg

I'm going to be using walnut simply because that is what I already have on hand. If all goes well I may build more out of different types of wood.
So today I went out to the shop and found a few nice walnut boards to work with and started by cutting out the legs and slates.100_1496 (Medium).jpgIMG_1514 (Medium).JPGIMG_1515 (Medium).jpg

I recently got a table saw from my father and am using it to do most of the cutting however I found trying to cut the slats only 1/4" thick proved to be an issue so I did that on my bandsaw.
Well that's day one.

tom sometimes when you resaw a baord down to a thinner size it releases some inner tensions. i would suggest you wrap them up with blue tape to hold straight till your ready to work with them.. with some weight on them would help to..it doesnt always happen but it can:)

I'm going to be using walnut simply because that is what I already have on hand.

This is somewhat confusing to me since I subscribe to the philosophy "if its worth making, its worth making out of walnut" :thumb:

tom sometimes when you resaw a baord down to a thinner size it releases some inner tensions. i would suggest you wrap them up with blue tape to hold straight till your ready to work with them.. with some weight on them would help to..it doesnt always happen but it can:)

+1 on this. It may be after the fact but, I breakdown parts oversized and let them rest a few days before milling to final size. Taping or 'flat twine'-ing things together is the next best bet. I always enjoy tagging along on a build. This one oughta be fun :)

glenn is right on the flat twine i use it all the time for many uses.. when i said blue tape i was going on the idea of something you for sure would have tom,, but at your work in the shipping dept you might get some of the flat twine.. it has many uses in a shop or home..

I'm looking forward to seeing your build, Tom. :thumb:

Good advice so far about your re-saw parts. I cut parts oversize, sticker them to keep them separated for air circulation, then weight them down for a few days.

The first order of business here, Tom, is to have fun building this. If you are enjoying it, it will turn out spectacularly. It looks like a great design. Kudus to Dave for pitching in. Don't you juts love this place!?!

If you let us know what you are thinking before you do something then some good suggestions like cutting oversize and wrapping will emerge for the lurkers among us to learn from. And it may save you from a misstep along the way. Since time to work on this is scarce.

One thing I learned when time is hard to find is to write a short piece, explaining what I did that day, what I was thinking about next, where I left off, what was the next thing to do when I got back to it, etc. A few minutes reading the next time before I began saved me hours getting back on track.

This thread could be a primer on going from idea to picture to drawing to construction to completed piece. Will have to buy more popcorn. :)

Another place for flat twine might be a fabric shop. I am not thinking plastic shipping tape. I am thinking flat twill or hemp twine (used in crafts). May have to check this out.

i will second carols thoughts on writing down what you did and what you think, it really comes into play when there is a long break between work sessions.. and if your going to make another, these notes will simplify the whole process a lot.

Well after spending the weekend doing other chores I got back to this tonight. Only had an hour or so to work on it but got a few more pieces cut. Since taking ownership of some of my fathers tools this will be the first project that I have built where I have used the planer, joiner and table saw. Kind of nice to be able to size your own stock to whatever thickness needed. However I will remind you to plane down the board BEFORE you cut it into pieces other wise you then have to run each smaller piece through individually. :bang::dunno: :rofl: oopps! Oh Well...I got into a hurry. Mistake learned.

So here is the proof that I am still working on this.
IMG_1517.JPG