Fixing the broken spindle in a kitchen chair (video)

Art Mulder

My wife brought me one of our kitchen chairs, which had a broken spindle.
Well actually it had a broken one and a cracked one. So I set about fixing them:

I also put together a webpage detailing this, if you'd rather not do the youtube thing: http://www.wordsnwood.com/2014/fixchair/

NOW for the forum questions... In keeping with Larry's recent post about fixing/improving the forum let me ask for a bit of feedback/guidance here.

I've been experimenting with making youtube videos about woodworking. It ain't easy, as I'm sure Stu can attest. (I know he's gone that route, not sure of others on here) What I'm trying to do is make a video, and then also put together a traditional web page, as I've done in the past.

Previously when I just made a web page, I would pull out some of the photos and cross post them here. That is a bit of effort, but I'm usually okay with doing so, as I would post the same thing on one or two other forums.

But what does the membership here prefer? And any other comments related to that. (or comments on the project itself, of course!)

1) posting just the youtube link, as I've done this time, is okay
2) posting the link to my web page is okay
3) you'd prefer if I post at least some photos here, plus commentary, in addition to 1 or 2 above.

ta,
...art

Art, that was a great video. At first sight I thought it was going to long and boring but you turned out
a consice informative video. I did pick up some very good points if (God forbid) I have to repair a chair.
Keep up the good work. I certainly will keep watching.
David

art i think you tubes are fine as you done this one,b for me seeing is sometimes better than reading.. as for the drilling the bottom out on a angle, i have done that and had to make it right.. you made a good save on this.. drilling on a angle isnt easy.. the larger bit is what made things worse for you:)

Some of us have connection issues and data caps that make videos only problematic. So I vote for #3 so not all of us are left out. Thanks for asking.

I enjoyed the video and learned some things. It's a lot easier to learn from a video, so option 1 is good for me. I understand Carol's concern. Perhaps option 3 plus 1 is a good solution.

art i think you tubes are fine as you done this one,b for me seeing is sometimes better than reading.. as for the drilling the bottom out on a angle, i have done that and had to make it right.. you made a good save on this.. drilling on a angle isnt easy.. the larger bit is what made things worse for you:)

So .... just for future reference, anyone doing this might want to first go out and get some extra long drill bits. That would have let me sneak the bit past the chair leg without being forced out of true.

I also found some bit extenders, while googling, but they are only for hex-shank bits.