End of an Era

When I moved back home to SoCal from Silly-cone Valley, LOML and I packed and drove the truck by ourselves. "Ourselves" may be an overstatement since she took her turn driving about an hour and a half in and I didn't wake up until Pasadena!?! If I didn't know she was a keeper before that I sure found out :). The point is I can totally relate to the nap, anywhere and anytime during a move :D. I envy you the chance to start again fresh but, don't envy the effort involved in getting to the starting line. Congrats again and have fun.

Hearing you talk about the trials and tribulations of your move reminds me of our move from Florida to Georgia in the Summer of 2006. We were having to eat all of the costs, so I looked at several options. I decided to buy an enclosed trailer with about 450cf of space. I knew it was going to take at least six trips, which turned out to be correct. We had to move a three bedrooms, office, my shop stuff from our garage and all kinds of etc. My wife did all of the packing with help from a couple of friends - more than 400 printer paper boxes she got from her office plus several carloads of liquor boxes from the store outside our neighborhood. We gave away a lot of stuff we knew we wouldn't use in our new home.

The move process was quite an adventure in itself and $4/gal gas at the time didn't help my mood!

May the adventure be a good one for you, Vaughn!!!

Moving ahhhh, not something i enjoy. Congrats Vaughn so happy for you and the missus. Hope that house closes sooner than you expect.

Linda is the key to our moves. She could easily be an army seargent major. Whips us into shape when it comes to moving.
I will say one thing about "stuff" when we moved countries with two kids, what i conciously insisted on was moving all the kids stuff in its entirety.
I felt the need to create the least disruption to their room environment was important to help with adaptation to new culture. Did the same for my workshop, moving guys thought i was the craziest guy there was when i had them load my steel workbench in the container. Never mind the luggage trailer lol. http://www.ventertrailers.co.za/gte...x-factory-luggage-trailers-for-sale-2531.aspx

Taking bits of past home are important for sanity.

All the best Vaughn, hope it goes well.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Life is change and we all must embrace it for good or bad. I'm pretty sure that despite the hassle and stress now you'll have better time once everything is in its right place ( or at least out of the way). A pity that you couldn't take with you the cabinets or the orange drawers. Setting up a new shop takes a lot of time.

I wish you all the best in this new era that you are starting.

Congrats on the move. I wish I'd had the big burly guys load my truck on my last move ,especially since I also had to drive the truck (no hardship there). Rob's point about moving the entire shop intact hit home for sure. Here I am 2 years later and I'm still not unpacked out there.

Quick update: We both rolled in to ABQ (on separate schedules) yesterday. I had left Saturday afternoon with a pickup loaded to the gills with "stuff". I stopped for the night in Flagstaff after spending too many miles fighting to stay awake. I got to ABQ Sunday afternoon. Kian (and my sister, who came along to help with the driving) left Sunday morning and arrived in ABQ about 10:30 PM. The truck with all of our stuff (or all that we didn't jam into our respective vehicles) should be arriving Tuesday, where it will go straight into storage.

Like I told Kian last night, the hard part is over; now the hard part starts. ;)

Ned, if things go as planned, we should be closing on the new place within the next month. We're not officially in escrow yet, as we're awaiting HUD approval on the contract. (It's a bank-owned property, and even though we and the bank have agreed on the contract terms, HUD must also bless the deal.) In the meantime, the three of us (Kian, her dog, and me) will be living in my little apartment.

"the three of us (Kian, her dog, and me) will be living in my little apartment."

Let the cosiness begin! Congrats on the move. Here's to getting into the new place soonest!

A bit of background: Kian has always been very hard to buy things for. She's very choosy about things and doesn't like surprises. She tells me exactly what to get her for birthday and Christmas presents. With only a few exceptions over about 18 years, anytime I've tried to pick something out for her myself, it has fallen flat.

One of the things I've been a bit worried about was what Kian would think of the new house that we're buying. It's somewhat of a fixer-upper, and Kian had only seen photos. I also know that the last house we bought together was move-in ready with new paint, carpet, and freshly-landscaped yards. I wasn't sure how she'd react to one that needs some work, and yet we are well into the buying process on this one. I knew it was a big roll of the dice to buy a house without her having seen it first.
She saw it for the first time late this afternoon. She absolutely loves the place. Words can't describe how relieved I was to see her positive reaction. :woohoo: She's totally looking forward to fixing and cleaning things up and making it our own.

... One of the things I've been a bit worried about was what Kian would think of the new house that we're buying. It's somewhat of a fixer-upper, and Kian had only seen photos. I also know that the last house we bought together was move-in ready with new paint, carpet, and freshly-landscaped yards. I wasn't sure how she'd react to one that needs some work, and yet we are well into the buying process on this one. I knew it was a big roll of the dice to buy a house without her having seen it first.
She saw it for the first time late this afternoon. She absolutely loves the place. Words can't describe how relieved I was to see her positive reaction. :woohoo: She's totally looking forward to fixing and cleaning things up and making it our own.

Sounds similar to our situation on our move from Florida to Georgia. I found what I felt was the perfect place for us. I signed the offer and the agent took Bobbie's approval over the phone. She saw photos of the house for the first time when I got back home three days later and liked what she saw, for the most part. Bobbie didn't see the house "live" until we drove up for closing. Trust is good!