Carving Bench

Roy Millsaps

Well I got tired of having to go between 2 areas to carve or find the right carving tool so I built a nice one here is what I had before

old 2.jpgold 1.jpg

Now here is what I got now, since I got banned last week to the shop due to making the girls mad at me I started to make the new bench an did some veneer panels out of cherry. This new bench is just a prototype from rejected wood I have the real one is going to be nicer but want to find out what is good an bad with this one first

Now its been done I hoping to drill the holes tomorrow was going to hold off until I have the tail vice but its hard to find a small one so I will use bench dogs that I can make here in the shop. The top tilts up all the way from 15 to 45%
I also going to make a few accessories for the bench like a cabinet for the bottom area an making a separate cabinet for all my hand carving tools

New Home 01.jpgNew Home 02.jpg

Do you think I missed anything ???

Well since I can't go in the shop until Monday or Tuesday the Turning fairy showed up last night an made me some bench stops , there made from Poplar so I set out some better wood for the fairy if it shows back up tonight to make some more out of this Snakewood

DSC02397.jpg

The Poplar ones work nice also but I was able to set the cabinet in place an hoping to make the drawers next week when I can

Cabinet for Bench 10.jpg

Holes for bench dogs.jpg

Hi Roy.

From the the tools that you show on the first pics it seems that you are also into miniature and power carving, have you made any netsuke? or I'm assuming too many things at the same time from just some pics?
Carving netsuke is something I want to try some day, but my eyesight is getting poor due to presbitia so before that I will need to get some of those magnifyiers.

QUOTE=Toni Ciuraneta;417643]Hi Roy.

From the the tools that you show on the first pics it seems that you are also into miniature and power carving, have you made any netsuke? or I'm assuming too many things at the same time from just some pics?
Carving netsuke is something I want to try some day, but my eyesight is getting poor due to presbitia so before that I will need to get some of those magnifyiers.[/QUOTE]

I've done some with bone an some Ivory pieces. I have different Magnifiers I use an for the details you need them , I also do gunstocks for clients here is a picture of one of mine Gunstocks. As you can see there is a MOP inlay to
It also helps when I carve on Lamp shades I make also

1-1.jpg[

Last edited: