Web Hosting provider

After trying and discarding a half dozen options, I have been very happy for the last 10 years with IX web hosting for my two web sites. Service as good as anyone, and a reasonable price UNTIL I just got my renewal notice. The price has doubled. Not a horrible price but twice as much as before, which was significantly higher than when I first signed up.

Therefore I am exploring options for web hosting. The leading competitor is GoDaddy, which seems to have the features I need for a price even less that I had previously been paying IX, and of course FAR less than the future cost at IX.

Has anyone used GoDaddy for web hosting? How reliable are they? Is the performance of their web sites good (or more properly, will my efficient web sites perform well on their servers)?

Are there other hosting companies I should explore?

I am going with HostGator for my new website because they have a feature package I find attractive to my needs. Wasn't chosen because of price though. Its a criteria but not the top criteria. So, like so many things, YMMV.

I'm sorry but i can't recommend AGAINST godaddy strongly enough. They're horrible hosts. We tried to use them on my forum and it was out for 7 or 8 hours in the first 3 months - that's just not acceptable. To be fair, it's been about 4 years since that mess but I have enough customers that are still leaving them to this day so they don't appear to have fixed anything. I rarely use such broad statements but don't waste your money on GoDaddy. They know how to market, and that's about it.

This and my forums are hosted with Bluehost - they're alright, but I'm not sending customers to them anymore. It's better lately, but there was a good 18 months where there were some pretty bad outages for no reason. They'd apply patches that broke apache's configs and then would blame it on the app - only to later finally cop to it and rolled back the patch after I spent hours researching for them. That seems to have stopped recently, which is good - i don't have time to move my forum to a new host lately.

These days, I'm very happy with Viviotech - we do a LOT of business with them at work and have been very happy for the last couple years.

It's been a while since I've used GoDaddy, but it worked fine and didn't have any issues with them. I supported a friends site for a while, but he quit his business, so closed the account. I've tried to stick with ones that have cPanel, which just seems more familiar for me to work in. I've also used Host Gator, Host Monster, and currently use Bluehost (which we use for the forum too). Bluehost has specials for hosting, but only for new accounts. If I want to stay with them and get the cheaper pricing I have to open a new account every 3 years. To do that, you have to setup the account with a domain that isn't one of your primary domains, the account is associated with that domain and I move my primary ones from account to account. I also have to backup and restore my data from one account to another.

Charlie check out Dreamhost. Not the cheapest but then in this category of vendor you get what you pay for.
As to Go Daddy my experience with them relates to a bait and switch company. What many will include as standard features they nickle and dime you for.
In my view its not just about hosting, security, tech support and openess when it comes to tech issues are key to me.
As to dealing with outages if its a business critical operation then redundancy should be factored in too.
I often wonder how many people have website backups off the server they hosting on.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

curious... has no one ever used Amazon AWS for their web hosting? I've heard good things about some of their other services, so I'm curious.

Been meaning to give it a shot, but I've not been doing any active web development outside of my work for a while, the sites I have I simply maintain. I would also be curious to hear about any other's experience with it.

I have Go-Daddy and I have to load up and drive to town to get on a wi-fi connection to be able to work on it. It dose NOT like Satellite internet. Will be looking at Robs suggestion soon. Also HATE there Website builder and NO toll free support #