A Little Arts and Crafts

Dave Richards

Gregory Paolini's take on an Stickley book rack.

A friend of mine was teasing me about this. She asked me what it's for. I told her I still like books over her preferred reading material, the iPad. I said they can be much better in some cases. She asked me to name one. Here is my reply:

Took a second. :doh:

say, does anyone know anyone with that type of bookcase? I remember admiring it a few years ago when I first came across it in FWW, and I considered building one, but (a) it didn't fit anywhere in our house and more importantly (b) I was really kind of unsure about how much I would like having the books on the angle in the top shelves.

I too generally prefer paper, but I did buy a kobo recently -- it's nice having a whole pile of books on hand in a compact package. I have side-loaded a bunch of stuff off of the free Gutenberg archive.

Thanks Carol.

Art, I don't know anyone now with that sort of book rack but my grandfather had several racks that were similar with the spines facing upward. The rack isn't very tall so having the spines facing up makes it easier to see the titles without getting down on hands and knees. If you have a space for a small book rack, such as near your favorite chair, this might be the ticket. I like the penguin donkey for that, though. It has a flat top for placing a beverage. ;)

Also didn't get it for a minute (then realized the photo was a link to a title). Not a Mac person.

I wish I needed so few books that a little bookshelf like that would do it. That size always seemed like one you might use in a bedroom for keeping several ones there. (not sure it would hold my technical manuals)

Took a second. :doh:

say, does anyone know anyone with that type of bookcase? I remember admiring it a few years ago when I first came across it in FWW, and I considered building one, but (a) it didn't fit anywhere in our house and more importantly (b) I was really kind of unsure about how much I would like having the books on the angle in the top shelves.

I lived in an apartment that had a similar one, and they are great, first you do not need book holders to keep them vertical, because gravity is pulling from two sides of them in diagonal, and there is enoguh friction on the bottom and front to maintain them in position second the height of those shelves is always below your shoulder level so you are able to see the back of the book and grab the one you need.

If you want to have your books neatly arranged these are the shelves, but if you have more books than the shelves can hold you don't have the possibility of puting them flat on top of the others, although you can lay them on the backs and tops ot them if there is enough Wood left to prevent them falling, so in fact these shelves can hold more books than normal ones ( or so I would say).