Cool New Dovetail Jig

Kevin Sadaj

I’ve been seriously considering buying a dovetail jig lately. I’ve looked at the Porter Cable and Rockler, and have even considered buying the Leigh D4R Pro ($500+).

Well, I picked up a few items at my local Rockler yesterday and as I was leaving I noticed “50% Off!” sign for a dovetail jig. It’s call “The Dovetailer” by General Tools. With the discount it cost me $19.99. I have been struggling with dovetails for a while so I thought, “who cares if it even works good.”

Well, I brought it home and read the littler user manual and on my first try, I cut pretty good fitting joints. The example picture is my first effort. Other than the depth, they fit good. With a little playing around, I am confident that I will cut perfect joints.

After work, I am buying another one just in case I lose parts. You can find it online for around $79 but my local store had the crazy discount.

I was beginning to think that i had to spend big money to get good dovetails, but now i realize i can do it cheaper. DT Jig.jpg

That's the second try. That gunk is some hide glue. Also, here is a pic of the jig I got from General's Web site. I bought another one after work, just because.
image.jpgimage.jpg