A/C Question

Wes Bischel

OK, I'm getting quotes on replacing my ailing A/C unit. The latest contractor is specifying Armstrong equipment. I have never heard of them. Has anyone had experience with their equipment? I really don't want to go through the whole hassle of replacing everything in a few years.:rolleyes:

http://www.armstrongair.com/residential.php

Any info would be great.
Thanks,
Wes

Ahhh yes, the old Armstrong AC systems. Aren't they the ones that have the big crank on the side of the compressor:D No I have never heard of them.

I had a Carrier system in our previous house and it worked very well. Prior that that, I got 18 years service out of a GE system. GE sold their AC operation to someone, it may have been Trane.

If you are changing AC units, now would be a good time ot look at installing a high efficiency furnace. Some thing in the mid 80%, or higher, area.

If I were in the market, I would look real hard at the Carrier systems. You may pay a little more, but you are getting a top-shelf AC.

I'm a devout Trane man myself, but American Standard, bought Trane a while back and are producing the Trane units (some still have the Trane name on them but mostly they build the Trane units and label them American Standard). They are very efficient and have always been very durable. We have already replaced half of our HVAC (the condenser) with one of these and will be replacing the other half (the Freedom 80 Two Stage) as soon as I get the Gas line installed to the house, (switching from electric heat to gas heat). You can get these units with either gas or electric heat. Our daughters just replaced their old HVAC with the same unit.

I had an Armstrong gas furnace. Didn't last long--had several service calls when it was "working". Won't have another. I have no idea about their AC units, but I won't have one of them either.