Good to see someone is trying out Kickstarter here...

Thanks Darren! I'm in a bit of shock at the swift response. I set a modest goal, which at this pace is going to be quickly funded. Thanks to all for checking out my project and for any support (even just moral or spreading the word)!

Well at the pace you're going you're going to hit your goal quickly and even surpass it. Perhaps you should consider branding them with one of the lasered tokens or a branding iron with a website address to order more in the future. ;)

Definitely a good idea. Something simple to add to them with your logo would be great.

Good luck Ned!

I have to agree with Ted, I thought your intro video was very sincere, starting goal was modest, and your rewards for the different levels are reasonable. Having items in that $10 - $30 range will get you several backers. If it were me, I'd try to stop by the hardwood store and take some pics of some wood with great figure that could/would be used for the boards and post them as an update to the project, even if it's not purchased yet. Kickstarter folks love updates.

Well at the pace you're going you're going to hit your goal quickly and even surpass it. Perhaps you should consider branding them with one of the lasered tokens or a branding iron with a website address to order more in the future. ;)

I was looking into a laser token, but I think the branding iron may be the way to go. I'll work on it this weekend, and get it ordered by Monday. Even if funding doesn't go through (though I fully expect to meet my goal at this point...) I can use it for my Etsy Products etc...

Definitely a good idea. Something simple to add to them with your logo would be great.

Good luck Ned!
Thanks Brent! Now I just need said logo!

Nice presentation, Ned. I bet you will hit your goal and then some.
Thanks Ted! Looking like I'll be pretty busy at the end of this month!

I have to agree with Ted, I thought your intro video was very sincere, starting goal was modest, and your rewards for the different levels are reasonable. Having items in that $10 - $30 range will get you several backers. If it were me, I'd try to stop by the hardwood store and take some pics of some wood with great figure that could/would be used for the boards and post them as an update to the project, even if it's not purchased yet. Kickstarter folks love updates.

That video was the hardest part of the whole project for me. I did it in about 4 takes... no script, just an idea and quick 5 minutes of 'shooting'. The crowdfunding experts say that the video is a must have. I guess so, when I look a a project, I read the blurb and the reward tiers, then I might watch the video. A friend of mine who is a backer said 'oh so natural to randomly find a camera pointing at you...' uh huh, suuuure it was.

I'm already gearing up for the build at the end. Part of this whole process was to challenge myself to build 'finer' boards. I've used the wood whisperer method for years now. Those boards are beautiful, but I'd like to see what else I can come up with design wise. I am going to pick up a couple of pieces of Lyptus, a bit more walnut (can't get enough chocolate, eh?), a couple of pieces of Maple and perhaps another random darker exotic to be named later (have to see what the yard has in stock). No matter what, I can always use the wood up, I don't mind investing in some stock to have on hand. Kickstarter to my view is not about selling something pre-made, it is about making something as the reward for the backers. In this case, I do have a few boards on hand that fit my backer tiers, but I won't use those, I'll make a full set of reward boards once the dust has all settled in 28 days. Nothing says I can't get a little stock ready before hand though. I'll be planing some pieces to thickness, getting building blocks ready for the advanced glue ups the fancy new designs will require.

Thanks again for sharing the project Darren. I was a bit hesitant to post it on here. Not that I didn't think the family would be interested, but that I would be 'preaching to the choir' so to speak. I appreciate the support though, and even have some FWW backing! (thanks Mack!)

10614290_782338658524057_133470948822364144_n.jpg

Thanks Bill! With your help I'm almost there 91% with 28 days to go. At this point, I'm starting to seriously consider how to streamline and go about efficiently make my artisan style boards. Stay tuned to see what I come up with!

I'm shocked to report that I'm over 2X my funding now and things are still rolling.

On a disturbing note, I'm starting to get approached by project 'boosters'... essentially creator-spam. One guy just reached out to me to 'increase my project'... don't know what his agenda is, and truthfully I don't plan on finding out. Another was from another creator who asked me to back his project and vice versa, leaving a comment to 'increase' both of our projects. I looked at his, and it was for a movie about fitness training. I replied asking him if he actually Watched my project video, and politely declined.

My goal has been met, and now I'm watching the numbers roll up. I'm going to get a few tools, buy lumber and ship my backers' boards to them as quickly as I can. The rest is gravy, so to speak. So long as my net is that I don't lose money, i'm happy. Going to be a lot of work in a couple of weeks. I'm picking up lumber later this week, and i'll be prepping boards for glue up this weekend.

Thanks Ken, Don't know that I'll afford a lumber Hauler, I am going to be getting a new Drum Sander, and a couple of Microjig Grr-ripper tools. I can't let myself lose $, so I've got a strict budget of what I'm buying (though I have bumped my target up to a larger sander than I initially wanted). As I said, sander, wood for the project itself, and shipping. Once those are all covered, I'll see what else I may do with any surplus.

Jim, Thanks for looking!

Darren, Thank you sir! What species?