What the heck is that?

I believe that's a six tooth 'Spinner' chuck with centering bit for machine cooling.

You would drill a hole the size of the bit into the piece of wood{the more warped/cupped the better}, then center the chuck over & onto the bit. Give the chuck post a whack with a hammer to set the piece in 'lock-mode' with the bit.Then it's just a matter of attaching the chuck post to a motor, drill, or to wide-belt driven pulley....set the contraption as close as reasonably safe{OSHA now requires a encompassing safety cage :doh:} to the heat producing machine and the wind effect produced will lower the temperature by the same amount of brain cells wasted in reading/writing this post. :D

You're killing me Ken!

It's called a 'Dinker' and is used to make the small hole in a record a big hole.

You see the jukebox I've got is able to play both 45 and 33 1/3 rpm 7" records. It uses the size of the hole to determine what speed the record should be played at.

Small hole = 33 1/3, Big hole = 45.

The problem is that Europe never caught on to that same convention. So European 45 rpm records have a small hole. That's the case for vintage, as well as modern European 45's. A lot of the current Indie groups that are putting out 45's also are putting them out with small holes.

I know what you're thinking, Vinyl is dead. Not so, It's actually making a bit of a comeback. What is going away are CD's. People still like to have some physical manifestation of the music, but why get a cd when you can just download a digital copy?

Just thought you guys might find it interesting, since it almost looks like a woodworking tool

mm_smallhole.jpgmm_bighole.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, Brent, thanks for including pictures. For a minute I thought you might be trying to out do Ken on the story telling!! I mean Ken had me believing him up till the last!:doh:

Interesting stuff. I still have my old records, and would love to get a record player for them. I screwed up when my mother-in-law passed away. At the estate sale, I stated I wanted the nice old record play they had if no one bought it. The family kept telling me to take it, I said I would if it didn't sell, I didn't figure it would and my conscious would be clear for just taking it. One of the first things that sold!

I've still got my old records, and amazingly enough, the groups I like are putting out 7" and 12" records like crazy. Now they aren't putting them out in huge quantities, but they are available.

There's also a site I've used to get some vintage 7" called 'discogs' that is kind of like an ebay for records, except they aren't auctions. I've found a lot of old 7" on there in great condition.

I'm really having a ton of fun with this old jukebox.

Just thought you guys might find it interesting, since it almost looks like a woodworking tool

Would probably work for making holes in thin{thinking veneer, but...?} wood for face fronting one of those multiple pictures photo frame type do-dads{ something like this, but with circles} :D hey, everything and anything in my shop can become a woodworking tool at the drop of a hat...& I'm sure some of my work proves that :rofl:

Cool lesson Brent :thumb: