Hardly worth posting, but ready for finish

fred hargis

My wife wanted this vanity for our downstairs bath, and you know what they say. Anyhow, this wasn't a particularly challenging project and may not even be worth mentioning. It did have a lot or M&T joints, and I hid a lot of less worthy stuff. Anyway, on to finishing, which will be oil-based varnish (only) and will probably take more than a week to do. I intend to make the top glass smooth (finish, level, finish, level) which is almost painful waiting for the varnish to dry between leveling. Regardless, this was recently in Woodsmith...I made the mistake leaving it out when LOML could see it. I should mention, neither the top or the lower shelf slats arefastened in this photo, I'll complete assembly after I do the finishing.

enhanced2.jpg

enhanced.jpg

Task at hand (besides finishing) is to find a matching medicine cabinet plan. May need to throw in a light fixture as well. Thanks, folks! For the record, though the stand (table, whatever you call these type things) was easy to build, fitting it to that vitreous sink was not. I guess the art of making sinks isn't nearly as precise as I though it was. I know that slip material shrinks as they cook those things, but I sure thought they would have it down a little better than this, not a straight side or square corner on it.

Task at hand (besides finishing) is to find a matching medicine cabinet plan. May need to throw in a light fixture as well. Thanks, folks! For the record, though the stand (table, whatever you call these type things) was easy to build, fitting it to that vitreous sink was not. I guess the art of making sinks isn't nearly as precise as I though it was. I know that slip material shrinks as they cook those things, but I sure thought they would have it down a little better than this, not a straight side or square corner on it.

I took a semester of pottery in college, that doesn't surprise me in the least.

Nice work Fred. Definitely worth posting. I would like to know do you plan on caulking on the top surface between the basin and the table frame top along the edges to keep water splashes going down between basin and wood.?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

It will definitely need to be caulked, as much for appearance as for the water. The sink sides are anything but straight and my wood is, so there are gaps in various places around the sink bowl; caulk should hide it well. But there's also the water problem you mentioned and it will solve that as well.