Veneer journey bits and pieces needed

Rob Keeble

So in addition to picking up a pump I also ordered a bunch of supplies from Joe Woodworker to be able to build one of Joes designs of vacuum pump set ups.

I am going to build the EVS System and started by looking at getting the bits of brass etc needed and quickly gave up when i saw Joe has everything you need in a kit to get the setup done. Look carefully before you think of trying to buy these pieces individually elsewhere. Its not worth it and it may appear to be expensive but there is a lot of little items and speciality devices included in this kit which to me adds a whole lot of value.

I would not be fair with out mentioning i only placed this order with Joe in Wednesday last week when we had decided to spend the weekend in Niagara to celebrate our 22 Anniversary. So i was hoping delivery would work out to make it possible to pick up my cross border purchases in one trip.
Sure enough Joe got the order out ASAP and it was there by Friday mid morning. I picked it up Sat morning. Packaging was excellent and shipping from Veneer Supplies (Joes online Store) was only $12 .02 for the whole lot which came in a huge box so as to protect the bag.

So what you see in the pics below is this kit
http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Project-EVS-Auto-Cycling-Pump-Vacuum-Press-Kit.html

With all the extras possible added just so i have them if needed.

Then i ordered my first bag to try out and decided to go one better than vinyl
http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Dura-Max-Elite-Polyurethane-Vacuum-Bag-2-x-4.html

Its 2x4 ft and I think to start out will more than adequately suffice for my beginnings. I have taken pics of the bags connector and the lock connector that goes on the vacuum end. But also the plastic tube and clamp for the open end of the bag just to show those not familiar with this stuff how it goes together.

Will update as i get to try it all out. Have some veneer i picked up at Larry's place from Jonathan that has been burning a hole in my head to use for a few years now so its long over due. :)

IMG_1425.JPGIMG_1424.JPGIMG_1431.JPG

One things for sure getting into Veneering and setting up a vacuum system is just like spinny work and flatwork its another vortex that requires a certain critical mass investment to get going.

With a bag at around $102 , kit above at $200 when options are added and pump at $169 then add the tank i purchased for $32 and you sitting at around $500 to get started and that excludes veneer and its own supplies like a veneer saw and other bits and pieces.

But i have wanted to dabble with this stuff for so long ever since high school so its time to do it before the reaper comes for me. :D

Be prepared folks that know about this stuff i am going to be asking a few more questions :) Right now i have to calm down and get my act together before i make a mess of assembly. Very excited to try this lot out.

Congratulations, Rob! Let the journey begin!!! :thumb:

I got started for a lot less, mostly because I'm so cheap! I got my pump for $80 from a friend. My first bag was a $6 vinyl shower curtain from WallyWorld. I did my first project (bentwood) with a tube taped to the bag. Along the way, I built up a much more elaborate system, of course.

So in addition to picking up a pump I also ordered a bunch of supplies from Joe Woodworker to be able to build one of Joes designs of vacuum pump set ups.

I am going to build the EVS System and started by looking at getting the bits of brass etc needed and quickly gave up when i saw Joe has everything you need in a kit to get the setup done. Look carefully before you think of trying to buy these pieces individually elsewhere. Its not worth it and it may appear to be expensive but there is a lot of little items and speciality devices included in this kit which to me adds a whole lot of value.

I would not be fair with out mentioning i only placed this order with Joe in Wednesday last week when we had decided to spend the weekend in Niagara to celebrate our 22 Anniversary. So i was hoping delivery would work out to make it possible to pick up my cross border purchases in one trip.
Sure enough Joe got the order out ASAP and it was there by Friday mid morning. I picked it up Sat morning. Packaging was excellent and shipping from Veneer Supplies (Joes online Store) was only $12 .02 for the whole lot which came in a huge box so as to protect the bag.

So what you see in the pics below is this kit
http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Project-EVS-Auto-Cycling-Pump-Vacuum-Press-Kit.html

With all the extras possible added just so i have them if needed.

Then i ordered my first bag to try out and decided to go one better than vinyl
http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Dura-Max-Elite-Polyurethane-Vacuum-Bag-2-x-4.html

Its 2x4 ft and I think to start out will more than adequately suffice for my beginnings. I have taken pics of the bags connector and the lock connector that goes on the vacuum end. But also the plastic tube and clamp for the open end of the bag just to show those not familiar with this stuff how it goes together.

Will update as i get to try it all out. Have some veneer i picked up at Larry's place from Jonathan that has been burning a hole in my head to use for a few years now so its long over due. :)

View attachment 87023View attachment 87024View attachment 87025

One things for sure getting into Veneering and setting up a vacuum system is just like spinny work and flatwork its another vortex that requires a certain critical mass investment to get going.

With a bag at around $102 , kit above at $200 when options are added and pump at $169 then add the tank i purchased for $32 and you sitting at around $500 to get started and that excludes veneer and its own supplies like a veneer saw and other bits and pieces.

But i have wanted to dabble with this stuff for so long ever since high school so its time to do it before the reaper comes for me. :D

Be prepared folks that know about this stuff i am going to be asking a few more questions :) Right now i have to calm down and get my act together before i make a mess of assembly. Very excited to try this lot out.

To Late you are one the DARK side now :rofl: I don't think there is to much in any facet of woodworking that is cheaper thought