Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 555LX and Carter Stabilzer

Grizzly 555LX and Carter Stabilzer

Not sure where I should ask this so I will start here...

I have a Grizzly 555LX 14" bandsaw. I enjoy making bandsaw boxs so I make a lot of tight corner cuts in 4" thick wood. I was using a Timberwolf 1/8" 14TPI blade. It is very hard to get the tracking right with the crowned wheels on the bandsaw. When I added the Carter Stabilzer in an attempt to get a better cut, I had a heck of a time keeping the 1/8" blade on the wheel. Carter suggests moving the blade farther back on the wheel and then adding the 1/8" of tension using the stabilzer. As soon as I add the tension with the stabilzer the blade goes all the way across the wheel and off. I had to add blade tension on the saw and move the blade all the way to the back of the wheels. I did this in fine increments until the blade stayed on the wheel. Needles to say the blade broke after a few cuts.

Anyone have any tips? I need the 1/8" blade to make tight curves. Should I just forget about the Carter Stabilzer. Anyone have any experience with bandsaw boxes and 1/8" blades?

Thank you in advance.

I added a Carter stabilizer to my G0555 earlier this year. I get very tight turns using a 3/16", 4tpi Carter blade. I bought the stabilizer and several blades from Carter at The Woodworking Shows in Tampa. I bought 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" blades to have on hand but the rep at the show suggested using the 3/16" for best results. I've had no issue with tracking using the 3/16" blade.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I've had a bad weld cause a blade to track poorly, have you tried another blade? Came across this video for setup on those guides...

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I've had a bad weld cause a blade to track poorly, have you tried another blade? Came across this video for setup on those guides...

Yeap seen that video. I was thinking of trying a 3/16 blade. Not sure I will be able to make tight enough turns. I might be running up against a limitation of the saw with the stabilizer on it. The 1/8 blade didn't work too bad, I was just trying to get a little bit better.

I'd try another blade. Also, aren't the Timberwolf blades guaranteed?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

To me, the use of a 1/8" blade on 4" thick wood would be exceeding the blades capabilities. Other might correct me, but that tiny blade just does not have the stability of a wider one. I can't offer suggestions on how to get a tight corner on wood that thick but I would look at other options, or designs for the project at hand.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Going to Woodcrafters in Lenexa over lunch. They have a Timberwolf 3/16 10 TPI blade I am going to try. They also offer a 90 warranty. Not sure if Timberwolf themselves offer anything. I haven't checked.

I will put this bad boy to the test tonight and report back.

I think Frank is on track (no pun intended) about the 1/8" blade being to narrow for 4" stock. Looking back at your original post, you've been trying to use a 14tpi, 1/8" blade which would be a double-whammy against making turns.

Here's a photo of a test cut I did after putting the Carter Stabilizer on my G0555. I glued two pieces of 2x stock together, so I had about 3.5" thickness. This was done with a 3/16", 4tpi blade.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stuff_4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	87058
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Yep. Methinks what he is trying is really a project for a heavy duty scroll saw.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

For tight turns in thicker stock, you need a blade with fewer teeth. This one works well for me, using the Carter guide on a TaiChi 14" saw.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!