Grizzly 555LX and Carter Stabilzer

Scott Turner

Not sure where I should ask this so I will start here...

I have a Grizzly 555LX 14" bandsaw. I enjoy making bandsaw boxs so I make a lot of tight corner cuts in 4" thick wood. I was using a Timberwolf 1/8" 14TPI blade. It is very hard to get the tracking right with the crowned wheels on the bandsaw. When I added the Carter Stabilzer in an attempt to get a better cut, I had a heck of a time keeping the 1/8" blade on the wheel. Carter suggests moving the blade farther back on the wheel and then adding the 1/8" of tension using the stabilzer. As soon as I add the tension with the stabilzer the blade goes all the way across the wheel and off. I had to add blade tension on the saw and move the blade all the way to the back of the wheels. I did this in fine increments until the blade stayed on the wheel. Needles to say the blade broke after a few cuts.

Anyone have any tips? I need the 1/8" blade to make tight curves. Should I just forget about the Carter Stabilzer. Anyone have any experience with bandsaw boxes and 1/8" blades?

Thank you in advance.

I added a Carter stabilizer to my G0555 earlier this year. I get very tight turns using a 3/16", 4tpi Carter blade. I bought the stabilizer and several blades from Carter at The Woodworking Shows in Tampa. I bought 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" blades to have on hand but the rep at the show suggested using the 3/16" for best results. I've had no issue with tracking using the 3/16" blade.

I've had a bad weld cause a blade to track poorly, have you tried another blade? Came across this video for setup on those guides...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

Yeap seen that video. I was thinking of trying a 3/16 blade. Not sure I will be able to make tight enough turns. I might be running up against a limitation of the saw with the stabilizer on it. The 1/8 blade didn't work too bad, I was just trying to get a little bit better.

To me, the use of a 1/8" blade on 4" thick wood would be exceeding the blades capabilities. Other might correct me, but that tiny blade just does not have the stability of a wider one. I can't offer suggestions on how to get a tight corner on wood that thick but I would look at other options, or designs for the project at hand.

Going to Woodcrafters in Lenexa over lunch. They have a Timberwolf 3/16 10 TPI blade I am going to try. They also offer a 90 warranty. Not sure if Timberwolf themselves offer anything. I haven't checked.

I will put this bad boy to the test tonight and report back.

I think Frank is on track (no pun intended) about the 1/8" blade being to narrow for 4" stock. Looking back at your original post, you've been trying to use a 14tpi, 1/8" blade which would be a double-whammy against making turns.

Here's a photo of a test cut I did after putting the Carter Stabilizer on my G0555. I glued two pieces of 2x stock together, so I had about 3.5" thickness. This was done with a 3/16", 4tpi blade.

Stuff_4.jpg

I installed the Timberwolf 3/16 10 tpi and made a pretty decent cut. I will try tighter turn later. Can't get image to upload with this phone.
Cut is in 3.5 white oak about the size of a dime. Small blade marks in a small spot. Probably where I stalled. The cut from top to bottom is within 1/32". I can accept that.

Thank you for all your input.

That's good news Scott. I watched that video myself, and figured out the drift problem on mine I was telling you about when you stopped by. I had the blade centered, but not at the center of the gullet, so it was a bit too far forward.