Hey Mr or Mrs Computer Whiz...

Two PC desktop towers...one running windows, the other Linux. Both have their own keyboard, mouse and monitor and I'm wondering if there is a KVM type switch to avoid the dual keyboard & mouse? I'm not after what would be accomplished by dual-booting, I would like both set-ups running simultaneously with only one keyboard and one mouse, if that makes my thought any clearer.

Am I just chasing my tail, or is there a chance I'll catch it? :huh:

Pic 001.jpg

There are a lot of options for this Ken. But, they're not a one size fits all. You'll need to consider...

- PS/2 or USB for Mouse and keyboard. Are you using wireless mice and keyboards? If so, that will limit the compatibility.
- Video connection of the computer and monitor. DVI, VGA, HDMI, etc.
- Video resolution needed. Not all KVM switches support higher resolutions.
- Would you prefer a push button selection of PC or keyboard hot key?

Ultimately, there's always potential of an incompatibility. Variations in BIOS's and 5VSB power for USB and PS/2 can affect how the KVM switch operates.

I'd certainly be willing to assist further. :type:

Thanks guys, I can almost taste the tail hair :rofl:

I'm using all USB wired. Can do video in any configuration. Monitors are currently set at 1024x768, both are limited at 1440x900{both 3yr old 20"s}. Switching no preference.

Any thoughts on what to give a look-see at?
T.I.A. :thumb:

Looks like you're in good hands. The one I was going to sell has somehow escaped my search for it. As a practical matter then, it turns out I don't have one to sell.
Good luck.

If you're okay with VGA (analog) graphics, This all-in-one is a decent bet and is fairly cheap. I've owned a similar one and cable management leaves a lot to be desired. Otherwise, it's a fully functional device.

For DVI, the price goes up, of course. Here's the two port version of the one Brent has. There are cheaper options but I wouldn't recommend them.

Dual Monitor?

That looks awesome Darren, Thank you! :thumb: Definitely in my price range :D

"Voodoo magic" :rofl:

I like how they say you can copy and paste between machines, don't know if that's standard with KVM Switches, but cool just the same.
Thanks, will download it this evening and see what develops...hopefully >>> :bliss:

Thanks again Darren, I'd like to have both running. I'm using XP on the windows machine so I can access some of my older video/audio apps with no plans of upgrading windows. With both open , I can dabble in the apps and keep an eye on this site ;)...you folks are the greatest :salute:

I use it at work, can setup encryption for the data sent between PC's. I usually setup dropbox or another file sync program keep files in sync between more than one machine too.

Thanks Darren for the reminder on Synergy. For dedicated monitors on each system, that really is the best option (or one of the other competing packages.) Using a KVM switch for switching just the keyboard and mouse will create frustration through needing to remember which one is active.

best $.5.00 I've spent in a long time...

Yeah, I suppose I should make a donation, I've been using it for quite a while. It's really nice that lets me use one keyboard and mouse for my linux box, windows, and my macbook. The copy/paste is a bit odd between windows and Mac, but may just be a config I've not set.