Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced (?) Sketchup challenge...

Advanced (?) Sketchup challenge...

So I am pretty comfortable in sketchup for sure - I like to do all kinds of stuff in it and don't usually get stumped, but this one got me ... maybe some of you can help...

Attached you will find a SKP of what looks like a topographical map of the surface of a guitar. These steps represent contour points on the face - they're .050" tall relative to their neighbor. What I'm trying to do is end up with a smooth contour along the peaks of the steps, if that makes sense.

I have the Extrude Tools plugins and just haven't been able to get them to work. Anyone care to take a stab?

Erp ... i can't attach ... it's 350k - ok, find it here instead.

So the hope is to have a pretty smooth model - i don't really care about file size, in fact, the more geometry to make it smooth, the better. Anybody up for the challenge?
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I was playing with something similar a while back with some gun grip contours, might try using the Curviloft plugin. I'll see if I can get it to do anything with your current drawing, but may need to add some new lines for it to follow.

http://sketchucation.com/forums/view...?f=323&t=28586
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thanks for that one, darren - trying it now.

I've been working with the Extrude Tools plugin trying to loft but it's just so complex in joinery my poor laptop starts to send itself into orbit with all the fans kicking in. I have given up letting it sit for 20+ minutes calculating away ...

We'll see how i can do with this one ...
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Here's kind of what I did...

Opened your existing drawing, then using the Cubic Bezier Curve tool (blue squiggly line with red dots) I chose spots along your existing levels from the neck side to the rear side of the guitar. I repeated about 1/2" over or so. I found you have to not make the lines too far apart when the level has a sharp curve. Once the lines are laid out you use the select tool + Ctrl to select all of the bezier lines, then choose the tool bar option for Curviloft (the face). This will draw the skin over these lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2014-11-06 22.27.14.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	87097 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2014-11-06 22.28.51.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	87098 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2014-11-06 22.29.21.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	87099

Now knowing you're going to want to convert these to gcode, I'm not sure where to go from here. Might have to take the group for the skin and then draw a vertical rectangle the length of the body, then copy it across the width of the skin, repeating it every 1/8" or so and then intersect them with the skin to get a tool path lines where they intersect (if that makes sense). I'd be interested to see what you come up with though.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That plugin is much speedier than the one i had been playing with before ... and so far i've gotten pretty close ...

First, i switched to a different skp file - it just has poly lines at each elevation the shape of the contour. There are 10 steps and the plugin doesn't seem to like that many. I can do 6 and get this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	topo2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	87100

Pretty dang close - just not a fan of that hard diagonal line at the waist area...

Here's the latest skp model i've been running with....
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Jason, I'm late to the party but it looks like you and Darren have things going along quite nicely.

It's not that the plugin can't handle ten contours but rather your old version of SketchUp gets bogged down. You ought to upgrade. Especially now with SU2015. They did a lot of code optimization so it handles higher poly counts much more easily.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Thanks, dave!

I have stayed with 8 mostly because of the plugin architecture changing that broke a few of the plugins i heavily rely on (stl export and dxf import) -- though, to be fair, i haven't looked to see if those plugins have updated to work in the newer versions now or not.

I'll download 2015 and give 'em a shot... thanks!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Well so far 2015 is taking about as much time ... curviloft fails to handle the 10 sections, for some reason. If i simplify the contours, i can do 8 sections with curviloft fairly quickly but I need all 10. Trying extrude tools again to see how that does. It's taking quite a while still, but i'll let it run for like an hour and see if it finishes this time.

I think the shape is just too complex for it -- i may have to go to a real 3d CAD program with better lofting skills. Rhino or something like that.

Thanks for the help, guys!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Can you do half twice and merge them?
    Darren

I am pretty sure I could create the shape in Solidworks.

I could then create a STL

The STL could be imported into something like Vectric Cut3D

Probably not what you want though.

If I know you - what you REALLY want is the challenge to do it yourself in SKP.

Just know - I will do it if you want me to.

Other than that - I still don't know sketchup.

Ohhhhh - and if you go out and buy Rhino - I will be quite envious